Charlie D's Ukrainian Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok here is some more.

Attachments

• DSC00649.jpg
    DSC00649.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC00650.jpg
    DSC00650.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC00651.jpg
    DSC00651.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC00662.jpg
    DSC00662.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC00663.jpg
    DSC00663.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC00664.jpg
    DSC00664.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 229
Thanks Charlie for the Solianka recipe and the pirozhki photos.Time for me to put my cooking hat back on - I've slacked off this summer. Would like to see a photo of your solianka. Cheers!!

And this is a picture of my freshly made pickles.

these pickles of yours are just screaming "bite me" at me! seriously though, charlied, your pickles look way more delish than those deli barrel pickles that so often end up being nothing more than a disappointment....i love to eat homemade pickles at every stage of pickling, from the barely pickled ones, right on through to the end-of-the-winter (sorry) super strong ones....great color, too, charlied.:)

Is Schav the soup you mentioned that you can use sorrel instead of spinach? I'm thinking Swiss Chard could be subbed for the spinach as well. Or a combo of all three!

Those pickles are very much so real. As the matter of fact I just finished the last jar from the last year. They were awesome.

I Just got back into town. I will get to work tomorow and G-d willing will post the recipe.

Cucumbers
Garlic, 1 whole (if cloves are big you can cut them in the half)
Dill to loosely cover cower the bottom (divided)
Pickling Salt 2-3 table spoons (depending on your taste, I use about 2.5)
Bay Leaves 3-4
Red hot pepper flakes about a tea spoon or less. Or whole hot peppers, like chili peppers for example, 2-4
Tap Water
If you can get hold of leaves of tart cherry or/and leaves of black currant, or/and leaves of horse radish, it would be great. Those leaves make pickles stronger/crunchier.

I use a 1 gallon jar. You can divide the recipe into smaller portions, but then I do not know how it would work, never tried small portion.
I like small to medium cucumbers. Put half of the dill, and garlic, and bay leaves on the bottom. If you have, add above mention leaves. Put 1 or 2 hot peppers, or pepper flakes. Fill the jar with cucumbers. Add garlic, salt (make sure to use pickling salt). Cover with the rest of the dill, bay leaves, and other leaves. Fill with cold tap water all the way to the top. Tighten the lid pretty tight. Shake the jar so the salt is dissolved evenly thru out. Put the jar in a bowl or some other container. For next few days during the fermentation, the water will be sipping thru the top. Make sure to clean that water so you know when the fermentation stops. 5-7 days, after that you can put them away. I have spare fridge so I keep them in the fridge the whole winter. My mom just keeps them in the pantry, but the problem is they continue, albeit slowly, to ferment in the warm place so she can’t keep them for too long because they became too sour.

Oh, forgot most important thing. To make sure pickles are crunchy you have to hold the cucumbers in the cold water for 3-4-6-8 hours prior the processing. The longer-the better. Changing the water every 2 hours. If possible. Lately I have been leaving cucumbers in the sink overnight. I do it right in the kitchen sink.

Back
Top Bottom