Charlie D's Ukrainian Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is just weird. If I search for Smetannik, the search comes back with a link, when I try to fallow that link, the recipe is not there. Moderators, please help.

CharlieD, I have a question about the pickled tomatoes. I'm going to make a small batch, or try to make some, about a gallon I guess. I can scale down your instructions from a five gal pail, but I need to ask, do you use vinegar in the mix? I didn't see any. Let know please.

N O, no, big no-no in my book. I know people do it, but I do not. Then they will be called Marinaded tomatoes. As far as scaling, the only difference really is amount of water you add, but even that you can make like a gallon size, or whatever the recipe calls for and poor over your tomatoes to cover it, and the rest you can just dump, it's only water and salt. If you have extra garlic or extra dill it is not going to hurt anything. It is funny though you ask me about this right now. I just bought some tomatoes I was going to pickle my self. Actually just came back from store, they did not have dill. Told me to come back tomorrow.

Thank you CharlieD, I was planning to make a big mistake and put in vinegar and then I thought I better ask! Glad I did. :) I think I'll put this together this weekend but before I buy tomatoes for it I will check for dill!

Nikita, I grew up in Kiev, but left some 20 + years ago, so I have no clue what is going on there right now.
David, I was poking around Russian internet today and found a video for a 5 day tomatoes. Since I did not do it yeterday, I think I am going to try this new recipe, seems really easy. I actually do have one of those quick recipes, but i do not like it. I'll see about this one and report when I know the result.

Nikita, I grew up in Kiev, but left some 20 + years ago, so I have no clue what is going on there right now.
I'm from Kiev too! Nice to meet a compatriot here:chef:
I wrote a book with my friends devoting ukrainian cuisine, and now I'm gathering people's thoughts, information on best restaurants and cafes in Ukraine.

And someone here asked about Golubtsi.
Here is a receipt
Golubtsi (or staffed cabbage) It is finely chopped meat, stuffed with buckwheat or rice and stewed wrapped in cabbage or grape leaves. The dish is very similar to Turkish Sarma, or Caucasian Dolma. Not spicy, not greasy, pleasant to the taste. Often served with tomato sauce or sour cream. The only difference between Stuffed Cabbage and similar dish, wrapped in grape leaves is that you can eat Stuffed Cabbage right after preparation without unwrapping them. Meanwhile some gourmets eat vine leaves, especially if they are not warned about the fact that these leaves are not eaten. Ingredients:

300 g meat
300 g rice
4 tablespoons tomato sauce
200 g sour cream

1 cabbage
2 carrots
1 onion
Salt and pepper to taste

To prepare Stuffed Cabbage, one should mix previously cooked rice with minced meat; then wrap the mixture into cabbage leaves and stew in a thick cast-iron pot with the addition of fat and spices. Serving Stuffed Cabbage, sprinkle it with sour cream.

I'm from Kiev too! Nice to meet a compatriot here:chef:
I wrote a book with my friends devoting ukrainian cuisine, and now I'm gathering people's thoughts, information on best restaurants and cafes in Ukraine.

And someone here asked about Golubtsi.
Here is a receipt
Golubtsi (or staffed cabbage) It is finely chopped meat, stuffed with buckwheat or rice and stewed wrapped in cabbage or grape leaves. The dish is very similar to Turkish Sarma, or Caucasian Dolma. Not spicy, not greasy, pleasant to the taste. Often served with tomato sauce or sour cream. The only difference between Stuffed Cabbage and similar dish, wrapped in grape leaves is that you can eat Stuffed Cabbage right after preparation without unwrapping them. Meanwhile some gourmets eat vine leaves, especially if they are not warned about the fact that these leaves are not eaten. Ingredients:

300 g meat
300 g rice
4 tablespoons tomato sauce
200 g sour cream

1 cabbage
2 carrots
1 onion
Salt and pepper to taste

To prepare Stuffed Cabbage, one should mix previously cooked rice with minced meat; then wrap the mixture into cabbage leaves and stew in a thick cast-iron pot with the addition of fat and spices. Serving Stuffed Cabbage, sprinkle it with sour cream.

why would grape leaves be used as a wrap if they re not edible?

One doesn't eat the vine leaves??? :shock:
I couldn't find any information that you can't eat grape leaves. I do know that the first time I made Dolmas using wild grape leaves, I was concerned that the bitterness would remain. After steaming them about 45 minutes or so, they were delicious. I will try making this one the grape leaves are big enough. They are a bit small at the moment, but I am keeping a close eye on them because I want to make a bunch of Dolmas for the freezer.

I thought this link was interesting:

GRAPE: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

I couldn't find any information that you can't eat grape leaves. I do know that the first time I made Dolmas using wild grape leaves, I was concerned that the bitterness would remain. After steaming them about 45 minutes or so, they were delicious. I will try making this one the grape leaves are big enough. They are a bit small at the moment, but I am keeping a close eye on them because I want to make a bunch of Dolmas for the freezer.

I thought this link was interesting:

GRAPE: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
They are supposed to be good for keeping cucumber pickles crunchy too.

I used them in pickles years ago. I do find they do have flavor. But, I use only fresh wild grape leaves (I blanch them before rolling). Maybe wild ones have more flavor than cultivated grape leaves. I don't have cultivated ones available, so won't be able to compare the flavor cultivated vs. wild. Perhaps the type of grape makes a difference as well. Wild grapes are small, blue/purple grapes around here.

I have never taken the grape leaves off of dolmas/dolmadakia/dolmade. I always just eat them.

On the other hand I always take cabage leaves of the gouptsi. I hate cabage. Actually it is not tastless it tastes pretty nasty to me. ;)

Nikita, I think you should take thios thread over and add your recipe. I am just ahome cook. But since you'e writen the book you probably/for sure have better recipes.

My Serbian MIL making Sarma using Croatian yellow winter cabage in Stari Grad Hvar.
img_1141561_0_1072b35c70938d934e9b0c9eff88d0b9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom