"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-28-2005, 02:53 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
If you get the urge to try it again just add the garlic along with the veggies - don't put the garlic in first. It's different when you don't have that wok shape. Too much surface exposed to the burner makes it tougher to keep things from burning. You were doing it right, just the wrong pan. You will LOVE your wok!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 03:01 PM   #12
Master Chef

Woks are great, but the garlic may still burn in it!

Till then, here's a Julia Child recipe:

Take a couple of zuccini and shred them using a box grater or a food processor.

Put in a colander, sprinkle with 1t salt, smush up with your hands to distribute the salt. What you are trying to do is get rid of the moisture, salt will bring it out.

Set aside.

Fry 2 strips of bacon till crispy. Crumble finely and set aside. Either discard the bacon grease or keep maybe a teaspon of it.

Slice a small onion thinly.

With paper towels, push down onthe zucchini to extract moisture -- or spin in a salad spinner.

In a nonstick skillet, sautee the onion on low-medium heat(lightly salt it) till soft in either the reserved bacon grease or in olive oil (about a teaspoon).

Turn the heat to High.

Add the zuccini and crumbled bacon to the onion and sautee very quickly, stirring often. It will only take a minute or two to cook. Add some pepper and taste to see if it needs salt.

It's fine to totally omit the bacon and to instead xperiment with the addition of other things (fresh basil, shallots, thyme, red peppers, etc).

Old 04-28-2005, 03:52 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Both Jennyema and Kitchenelfs advice is great. If you add the veggies and garlic at the same time then you will have a lot less chance of burning the garlic because some of that heat will be taken up by the veggies.

If you go with Jennyemas suggestion then you might even want to take it one step further just while you are learning. What I suggest is get your pan hot, but not as hot as we have all been suggesting. Put your oil in and get that hot then throw your garlic in. Stir it constantly. Once you start to smell the garlic then you can take a slotted spoon and remove it. NOW you can crack the heat up and stir fry the rest. The oil will still be flavored, but there will be less of a chance of burning it. Then once everything is just about done you can throw the garlic back in if you want.

Don't give up. Cooking is a learning experience. Everyone here has burned their garlic at one time or another. Just keep trying and you will learn what works and what doesn't.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:01 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Oyster Sauce Sub?

Thanks for the recipe! I make stir-fry quite a bit, but tend to use the stir fry sauces that you just pour (Kikkoman, House of Tseng). I'd like to be less lazy and mix up my own.

I've never tried oyster sauce. Does it have much of a seafood flavor or is it more salty? Any good substitutes?
Old 04-30-2005, 01:26 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur
Thanks for the recipe! I make stir-fry quite a bit, but tend to use the stir fry sauces that you just pour (Kikkoman, House of Tseng). I'd like to be less lazy and mix up my own.

I've never tried oyster sauce. Does it have much of a seafood flavor or is it more salty? Any good substitutes?
Hi wilbur - Oyster sauce is on the salty side - doesn't taste fishy to me but I don't normally stick my finger in it and taste it - it's got a great flavor and you will definately see the difference if not used. I'll dig up another recipe that uses it so you won't waste your bottle, how's that? lol Really no substitution I can think of - sure you can add other flavorings - it would just be a revised recipe.

Here is the other recipe that I absolutely LOVE that also uses oyster sauce Oriental Pasta Salad

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 01:29 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

I agree with Kitchenelf here. Oyster sauce is salty and does not really taste fishy. There really is no sub. It lends a unique flavor to dishes when used that you just can't duplicate any other way. You use just a little bit when you do use it.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:31 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf

Here is the other recipe that I absolutely LOVE that also uses oyster sauce Oriental Pasta Salad
It's my lucky day. Two recipes for the price of one! Thanks, Kitchenelf.

I'm going to go ahead and buy a bottle of Oyster sauce.

Tags
None