"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-26-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry

CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI STIR FRY
Serves 4

Marinade Ingredients:
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup dry sherry or rice wine
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Oyster Sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
Add 3 boneless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips to this marinade

Aromatics:
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Other Ingredients:
3 tablespoons of oil
1 bunch of broccoli, cut into florets
1 red pepper, julienned
1 large onion, cut into chunks
1/4 cup halved cashew nuts

Procedure:

1. Preheat wok or frying pan over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil and add chickenand, reserving marinade for later use. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until chicken is no longer pink. If you slice the chicken really thin 3 minutes may be way too long. Cook in batches if necessary. Remove and set aside.

2. Add remaining tablespoon of oil and stir-fry the aromatics for 10 seconds or until fragrant.

3. Add the vegetables and stir-fry 3-4 minutes.

4. Add the reserved marinade and reserved chicken and cook until sauce thickens, stirring frequently.

5. Toss with cashews and serve over white rice.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:13 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
YUMMMMY!

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2005, 11:39 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You are welcome!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Head Chef

sounds delicious this will be my first endeavor into the world of stir frying
Old 04-27-2005, 06:17 PM   #5
Everymom

CASHEWS!!! Now why didn't I think of THAT??? I always use almonds, but I think cashews would be amazing in there. Thanks KE.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:17 PM   #6
Head Chef

i tried to stir fry last night and added in the garlic first like most sites say...it turned black in five seconds lol
Old 04-28-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
i tried to stir fry last night and added in the garlic first like most sites say...it turned black in five seconds lol

Well, we HAVE stressed a HOT wok or pan!

I crush up a couple of garlic cloves and mince one. And crush a hunk of ginger and mince a bit.

I put the crushed garlic and ginger in the hot oil where this recipe says "add aromatics" then I stir around constantly. STIRRING will help prevent burning!!

When they are brown, I take them out and discard. The oil is flavored, which much of the point in this step.

Then I add the minced product with the vegetables. Sometimes I put the minced product in the marinade.

BUT TELL US HOW IT TURNED OUT OTHERWISE!!
Old 04-28-2005, 02:22 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Well, we HAVE stressed a HOT wok or pan!

I crush up a couple of garlic cloves and mince one. And crush a hunk of ginger and mince a bit.

I put the crushed garlic and ginger in the hot oil where this recipe says "add aromatics" then I stir around constantly. STIRRING will help prevent burning!!

When they are brown, I take them out and discard. The oil is flavored, which much of the point in this step.

Then I add the minced product with the vegetables. Sometimes I put the minced product in the marinade.

BUT TELL US HOW IT TURNED OUT OTHERWISE!!

Jenny, what do you mean stressed a hot wok or pan? I'm confused. My pan was very hot, the peanut oil was smoking. The garlic turned black in 5-10 seconds with me stirring and shaking constantly... after i saw that, i gave up on the endeavor and i switched to just sauteeing the veggies at a lower temperature.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:35 PM   #9
Master Chef

I meant that the general good advice was to get the pan very hot, so you did it right.

It's not that uncommon for minced garlic to burn. That's why I flavor the oil with bigger chunks -- the bigger the piece, the longer it can cook w/out burning.

So you were totally on the RIGHT track and didn't need to stop, as the veggies will not burn .... but you aren't supposed to know that so it's a good thing you salvaged dinner.

I'd try the recipe again but try what I do, which is flavor the hot oil with some chunks of aromatics, taking them out before they burn (they can get dark brown) and add a bit of minced product either in the marinade or with the veggies.

I am sure others will have more suggestions on how to avoid burning the garlic. But it is a common problem.

Hot pan, stir like crazy.

Believe me, it works.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:49 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I meant that the general good advice was to get the pan very hot, so you did it right.

It's not that uncommon for minced garlic to burn. That's why I flavor the oil with bigger chunks -- the bigger the piece, the longer it can cook w/out burning.

So you were totally on the RIGHT track and didn't need to stop, as the veggies will not burn .... but you aren't supposed to know that so it's a good thing you salvaged dinner.

I'd try the recipe again but try what I do, which is flavor the hot oil with some chunks of aromatics, taking them out before they burn (they can get dark brown) and add a bit of minced product either in the marinade or with the veggies.

I am sure others will have more suggestions on how to avoid burning the garlic. But it is a common problem.

Hot pan, stir like crazy.

Believe me, it works.
I've got a wok coming to me in a bit. I'm going to hold off until then ^^

Tags
None