"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 02-21-2006, 08:31 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
Here's the basic recipe. You can add some chicken, pork or beef, etc. and customize the dish to your liking.

Chow Mein/Chop Suey

For the Sauce:
2 Tb Oyster Sauce
1 Tb Soy Sauce
1/2Tb Dry Sherry
1/2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Cornstarch
1/4 C Chicken or Vegetable Stock

For the Dish:
1/4 C Peanut Oil, divided
2 cl Garlic
1 Ea Onion, chopped
1 Ea Green Bell Pepper, chopped
8 Oz Mushrooms, sliced
5 Oz Water Chestnuts, canned
2 Oz Snow Pea Pods
1 Ea Carrot, sliced
7 Oz Broccoli Florets
4 Oz Bean Sprouts

Combine the sauce ingredients and set aside.

Stir-fry the vegetables (except for the sprouts) in small batches. If you do one type of vegetable at a time, they will be more evenly cooked than if you stir fry batches of mixed vegetables.

When all the vegetables are stir fried, add them all back into the wok and make a well in the bottom of the wok.

Add the sauce and stir over high heat until it boils.

Add the sprouts, toss and serve.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:24 AM   #12
Master Chef
I don't like the crunchy chow mein noodles, so I use Ramen noodles instead. I don't really care if it's authentic or not.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:18 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
any one know why lo mein is called chow mein in the west coast?
Luv4Prada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef
Here on the East Coast, lo mein and chow mein are two completely different dishes.

Lo mein is a soft wheat noodle dish with added meats and veggies. The main ingredient is the noodle. Lo mein translates to tossed noodles.

Chow mein is a veggie and meat dish with a sauce, served over deepfried crispy noodles. Chow mein translates to fried noodles.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:24 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by cipher
Rice in chow mein?
Yes. The celery sauce is served on top of a bed of white rice, then topped with crispy noodles.
membrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
Thumbs up Jin's Chow Mein

If anyone is interested,
I found the recipe in a old chinese cook book. 1952
I lived in Minneapolis and often ate chow mein from Jin's.

4 Tablespoons cooking oil or chicken fat (pork sausage)
3 teaspoons of salt
1\4 teaspoon of pepper
2 cups sliced chinese cabbage or boya cabbage
3 cups cut celery
2 cups of canned bean sprouts
2 teaspoons sugar
2 cups of stock
4 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 1\2 tablespoons of corn starch
1\4 cup of cold water
2 cups sliced cooked chicken
1 8 ounce bag of noodles
2 hardboiled eggs.

Heat oil salt and pepper in a deep hot skillet, add all the vegetables, the bean sprouts last. Sprinkle sugar over them. Stir. Add the stock and mix well. Cover the pan. Cook till boiling point, then turn mixture over. Cover and let cook till boiling about 10 minutes in all. Stir and add Soy sauce mixed with corn starch and water; stir slowly while the mixture thickens.

Place noodles on a plate cover with chow mein and top with sliced chicken and hardboiled eggs. White rice is used as a side dish.

Makes 4 servings..

I think Jin's makes this recipe the day before they serve it, my leftovers tasted more like Jins then right after I cooked it.
Next time I make this I am going to leave it overnight in the fridge and then serve it up... Jin also uses pork sausage as a filler, so next time I am using the pork sausage instead of cooking oil to cook my veggies..

Enjoy all you lovers of Jins Chow Mein!!
Tampa Florida Pom-mom
Pom-mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Hey looks good, now I dont have to go to Minneapolis!
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #18
Head Chef
We sometimes collect old menus, sometimes means if we are in the mood.

And have a number of Chinese menus from the 20's and 30's that were basically chow mein and chop suey places.

When I was a kid that was what Chinese restaurants had to offer.

Then, when I got older, I used to walk across the Brookly Bridge every day for dinner in Chinatown. I learned what real Chinese cooking was. Helped the Chinese with their lessons and got the real McCoy. The Chinese are a great people. And it was not chow mein. In fact could order from the Chinese written menus. Gosh was that food good.

But who cares? People like what they like. When I was a kid all that was available was Chung King chow mein in a can. And that was OK because I liked the celery flavor and the bean sprouts. And it was thickened I would suppose with corn starch.

So Andy's recipe sounds good, it has the oyster sauce and the corn starch and all kind of good stuff, but it needs the celery flavor.

Look, I know the Chung King stuff was awful but sometimes you need a bit of your dhildhood. And nothing brings it back more than the food.

And if it tastes good to you it is good grub, and don't let anyone tell you anything different.

And if they go on, sic Auntdot on them. Good food is what you like and want it to be.

Am in a feisty mood, God bless.

Andy, your recipe sounds great, but am in the mood for lousy old chow mein on a bed of rice.

Sometimes you just have to remember. And am in the mood for that.

Again God bless and take care.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #19
Assistant Cook
Jin's Chow mein

Hi Everyone,

You can also use Napa cabbage in the place of chinese cabbage..

I have been living in Tampa Florida for 7 years , and I had been craving this chow mein for awhile. I searched the web (thats how I found this site) for this recipe for years. no luck! Finally my husband brought home this old chines cookbook he found, and low and behold here is the recipe I had been searching for.

This is "The Secret" at work, if you want something bad enough, it eventually shows up on your doorstep. Now if only I could win the lottery.

Pom-mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #20
Master Chef
Actually, "Napa" cabbage & "Chinese" cabbage are one & the same thing.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote