Chicken Chow Mein

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jin's Chow Mein

You maybe right about the chinese cabbage and NAPA being the same, Sweet Bay has both names advertised, but you can never find the chinese cabbage, just the NAPA. That's probably why..

Thanks!

And to help make it even more confusing, some markets call Napa/Chinese Cabbage "Celery Cabbage", which is actually a variety of Chinese Cabbage that is narrower in shape & has more stalk than leaf to it. Same color & taste though.

Jin's chow mein

I realize this thread is a few years old, however, I too am looking for a recipe similar to Jin's. The recipe posted by pom-pom looks similar. However, I don't remember Jin's having cabbage in theirs. Also, their eggs were a flat scramble then cut into strips. They did not use hard-boiled eggs. I lived just minutes from Jin's for 35 years. Now I'm an hour away, and I still crave it, but I'm not driving an hour to get it. Membrane, did you ever find true recipe you were looking for? HELP!!

Membarane posted here first and the last time 7 years ago. i doubt you going to get any answer from him/her.

I realize it's a longshot. But thanks for pointing that out. I'm trying every avenue I can.

here in nyc and joisey, chop suey and chow mein are slightly but decidedly enough different. and i don't just mean the fried noodles on top.

chop suey is slightly darker in colour, and the veggies are more varied.

chow mein is more whitish, with more onion and bok choy white parts, and the aforementioned fried noodles.

and no respectable chinese person i know mixes his food into the rice.

The restaurant recipe that I'm looking for is probably more a chop suey, but they do call it chow mein. And I know I'll never be able to pry the recipe from their hands! I don't believe it has bok choy in it. Actually, not real heavy on the veggies. As for the rice: Here in Minnesota, with all the Scandinavians, for some strange reason, we like white food. Thus, the rice.

lol, as an american i must stipulate there's no right or wrong here. just us. all of us.

my mom is norwegian, and always oders shrimp chop suey, eventually mixing it into the rice. :D

she's still my mom and i love her, no matter what.

Last edited:
See, that does not sound good to me. My parents are Danish and Norwegian, and love lutefisk. Anything that looks like it's still moving on the plate does not appeal to me!

I say just go there and tell them that you are moving and that you love them and that you really going to miss them and you really need their recipe to survive in the wilderness, or arctick. And just start crying and begging, it might work, you never know. ;) :)

Funny! I had posted about this on Facebook, and a friend from the old neighborhood actually went there and got some for dinner tonight. She asked for the recipe but they will not release it. It's pretty tightly guarded secret, since 1958!

Back
Top Bottom