Chicken Korma Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluespanishsky

Senior Cook
Hi,

I've got a question about chicken korma. this is my boyfriends favorite indian dish, and he says that at some resturants they serve it with chunks of cheese in the sauce. I've looked up some recipes and can't seem to find one with cheese in it. Any idea of what sort of cheese might be used in this dish? He says it tastes similar to goat cheese but with less "tang". Any thoughts would be greatly appriciated.

many thanks,
nadia

paneer cheese...
Paneer (sometimes spelled as Panir or Paner, Pers. cheese) is an unaged cheese that is similar to pressed Ricotta cheese, except that the curd is drier and has no salt added. It is most common in South Asian cuisine. It is one of the primary protein sources among Buddhists (typically those of South Asian origin) who adhere to vegetarian but not to vegan diets. Paneer is used in curry dishes and is very popular when wrapped in dough and fried.

this is one of my favorite indian restaurants.
http://www.claypit.com/

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I have never found the cheese, and just found this recipe on the web so do know if it works? Hope this helps

Ingredients
[/font]
  • [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]2 litres of milk[/font]
  • [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]the juice of two lemons[/font]
  • [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]cumin powder[/font]
  • [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]salt[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
Equipment
[/font]
  • [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]big pan, at least 4 litres[/font]
  • [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]cheesecloth - more of which anon[/font]
  • [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]wooden spoon[/font]
  • [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]two chopping boards or similar[/font]
You can use a clean dishcloth for your cheesecloth, or any other smooth cotton cloth. Make sure you haven't washed it with fabric softener, and that it's been thoroughly rinsed. If it smells freshly laundered, that's how your cheese will taste!
[/font] [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Instructions [/font]

1. [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Pour the milk into the pan. Add about a teaspoonful of salt, and about a teaspoonful of ground cumin[/font]
  2. [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bring the milk to a gentle simmer. Keep it there for about 5 minutes. If you take your eyes off it for a second, it will boil over. If it burns, your paneer will taste funny.[/font]
  3. [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Remove the simmered milk from the heat, and start to slowly stir in the lemon juice, about a tablespoonful at a time. The milk will begin to curdle. This is "curds and whey". If it doesn't go, add a tiny bit of vinegar.[/font]
  4. [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Keep stirring and adding lemon juice until the curds are thick masses, and the whey is only slightly cloudy.[/font]
  5. [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Drain off the whey, keeping the curds.[/font]
  6. [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Dump the curds out onto the cloth (it will be messy), wrap them up, and squeeze the cloth to get the whey out.[/font]
  7. [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Open up the cloth and look at the curds. Taste some. If it needs a bit more salt, add some (it should not taste salty). If it needs more cumin, add some (it should be quite subtle). If you feel like adding something else, like chilli, or coriander, or anything, now is a good time[/font]
  8. [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] Fold the curds up in the cloth, in a squarish block. Put the block on one chopping board, place the other chopping board on top, then balance the big pot, full of cold water, on top[/font]
[/font]

Yes, that recipe for the cheese will work.

You probably won't find paneer in a regular grocery store, but if you live in an area where there are Indian/Middle Eastern grocery stores, you should be able to find it. You could also go to your favorite Indian restaurant, and ask them if you can buy some from them!

Thank you both so much for your help! I think I'll go the middle eastern specilty store and see if i can find it there. if not i may just have to try to make it on my own!

Thanks again for the help!

Whoa, I also adore Chicken korma and make it sometimes, but I never used paneer cheese in it... I always thought there could be something missing in my chicken korma
39.gif
, this may well do the trick thanx Nadia for bringing up the issue, and thanx ch3f for the recipe!!

Back
Top Bottom