Chicken Vindaloo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
This is one of two chicken vindaloo recipes I have in my software - the simpler of the two! The thing that makes it simpler is the vindaloo curry powder I had made up. I posted this elsewhere, but I'll put it here, too, so it will be closer to the recipe it is used in.

Vindaloo Curry Powder

8 dried Thai peppers, or Indian, Chinese, de árbol, etc., broken up
3/4 c Indian coriander seed
1/4 c cumin seed
2 tb black cumin seed
2 tb black peppercorns
1 tb fenugreek seeds
2 tsp black mustard seed
8 whole cloves
1" piece cassia, broken up
1 large or 2 small black cardamom pods, crushed and broken up
1 tsp ground turmeric

Preheat toasting pan over med-high heat; add all spices except for the turmeric, and toss for 1-1 1/2 minutes, or until toasted, with a wisp of smoke starting to show in the pan. Pour into a broad bowl to cool. Grind to a fine powder, in several batches, if necessary, then mix in the turmeric.

Vindaloo Chicken

3 lbs chickent thighs; skinned
1 large red onion; halved, and sliced thin
2 tb coconut oil
4 large cloves garlic; minced, about 1 tb
2 tb vindaloo curry powder
1 tsp kashmiri chilis; ground
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 oz apple cider vinegar
8 oz coconut millk

A. Heat oil in a 12 inch skillet over med-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 or 6 min., or until beginning to brown. Add the chicken, getting the onion away when putting the pieces in, and cook 4-5 min./side, until lightly browned. Remove to a plate, with the onions, leaving as much oil in as possible.

B. Return pan to med-low heat and add garlic; cook 1 min., stirring, then add the vinegar, spices, and salt, stirring to mix, then cook 2-3 min. longer, stirring the paste around, and pressing it against the bottom, to release the flavors. Add the coconut milk, then stir to mix the paste into the milk. place the chicken and onions back into the pan, turning to coat the chicken with the sauce. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover, and cook 18 min., turning the chicken halfway through.

C. Turn the heat up to medium, and boil off some of the sauce, turning the chicken a few times while doing this, After about 5 min. the sauce should be thick enough - look for the spatula to leave a trail when pulled across the pan bottom.

D. Serve with some rice or roti, and maybe some chutney, to go with it.

Ingredients:
Ingredients for vindaloo - mise en place by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chicken cooking after browning onions:
IMG_20190112_184428266 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Spice paste, finished cooking:
IMG_20190112_185320304 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chicken, ready to finish cooking in the sauce:
IMG_20190112_185908287 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chicken finished simmering, ready to thicken sauce:
IMG_20190112_191912291 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dish, with thickened sauce:
IMG_20190112_192306735 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dish, served with some half and half white and brown basmati rice:
Finished Vindaloo chicken. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sounds great. last couple of weeks have been thinking of making curry chicken. Not that I was having cravings yet. This recipe comes at the perfect time. Saving it to my favorites and planing to make on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom