"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by outRIAAge View Post
I was the one complaining that it's no fun to use pre-made wrappers, and I was dreaming of Mediterranean potstickers using my newly-invented grape-leaf dough, but I completely take your point. Restrictions don't limit creativity, they enhance it.

For example: the villanelle, which is probably the most extreme and arbitrary-sounding set of restrictions of all poetic forms, and yet Dylan Thomas came up with "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night", which is only improved by hewing to the supposedly-arbitrary form.

SO: Only pre-made wrappers allowed. Everybody agree?
How about this? *You* are only allowed to participate if you make your own wrappers, filling and sauce. Everyone else can choose to use a pre-made wrapper. I think everyone will agree.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
How about this? *You* are only allowed to participate if you make your own wrappers, filling and sauce. Everyone else can choose to use a pre-made wrapper. I think everyone will agree.
Pretentious? Moi?

Old 07-23-2016, 09:22 PM   #23
Head Chef

I'll answer for her, though she, of course, is welcome to add. No, just a low tolerance for......
Old 07-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I'll answer for her, though she, of course, is welcome to add. No, just a low tolerance for......
Aw, medtran, you know me so well
Old 07-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Haven't posted here for quite a while, but I'll participate. I love this sort of challenge. It makes me think outside the box.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:54 AM   #26
Head Chef

As I wrote previously, we went with a Korean fusion. Used 2 homemade kimchis tailored to each combo.

First, Cuban Sandwich. Used a pretty basic kimchi recipe but added more cucumber for the pickles used in the sammie. Next time, I'll use a lot more cukes and less cabbage I think, maybe a little less gochugaru and more cumin. Filling was ground pork, ham, swiss cheese, some tamari, sesame oil, more cumin, S and P. Sauce was rice wine vinegar, sugar, garlic, red pepper flakes brought to a boil, cooled, lime juice and cilantro.

Next, Cajun/Creole/Low Country andouille, shrimp and grits. Kimchee had the trinity and some grits (some kimchis use rice), as well as homemade Creole spice from Paul Prudhomme's mix. Filling was ground pork, andouille, shrimp, red bell pepper, kimchi, a bit of tamari (instead of soy sauce), a bit of sesame oil, S and P. Sauce was a play on PP's brown sauce for fish.

Cooking in the pan.

Dinner is served!
Old 09-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #27
Head Chef

1/8 to 1/4 inch cubes of golden porky goodness ready to mix into the filling for Chinese soup dumplings in the next few days. Boy was it a relief when I checked the pan yesterday and it had gelled so nicely.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #28
Senior Cook

That looks great medtran49.

Is anyone else still doing this? I want to join in. Sounds like fun.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

I bought the wrappers, but haven't come up with a filling and sauce yet. I'm away from home till Friday, so I'll plan on doing something next week.

Would love to see more ideas for inspiration!
Old 09-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #30
Head Chef

Well, I'm not doing a fusion this time. Like I wrote in the dinner thread a couple of nights ago, I've wanted to make these soup dumplings Pork Soup Dumplings Recipe - Bon Appétit ever since I saw the article in the magazine.

I am, however, going to make the dough. We bought a flour mix that supposedly is the best for making buns on 1 of our recent trips to the Oriental market. It wasn't anymore expensive than regular flour or rice flour so I'm guessing (hoping) we weren't getting the run around. They seem pretty nice in that place, even though most of them don't speak English AT ALL. They'll run and get 1 of the 1 or 2 employees that does. Besides that, when we were checking out once, we were getting stuff to make sushi, besides restocking a couple of things we were out of, 1 of which was black vinegar. The lady checking us out stopped when she got to the black vinegar and said you aren't using this for sushi are you? We said no, that it was just to restock, though the other things were for sushi. She said "Oh, okay, just wanted to be sure."

Anyway, I've been watching the video on rolling out the dough and shaping (18 crimps is the magic number for the soup buns) so we'll see how I do. I've got the pot stickers down pat but I haven't had to make the dough and roll it out and then fill and shape the dumplings in a LONG time since I discovered the pre-made wrappers for pot stickers. Will be interesting.

Got some baby bok choy and shitake mushrooms to go with. Haven't decided yet whether to just serve them as a side or whether to try and make vegetarian dumplings with them. Guess I'll see how the main dish dumplings go first.

Tags
chinese, dough