"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-03-2016, 10:33 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Thanks for reviving this thread. I had forgotten about it, but I'm going to do something this week.

Thinking.......
Thinking.......
Thinking some more.........

Old 09-05-2016, 08:13 AM   #32
Head Chef

Well, like I wrote in the dinner thread, I'll be getting these in a restaurant from now on. It did take me a while to figure out how to get these pleated, and they still don't look that great even after doing 24 of them, and it took FOREVER. It looked easy in the video, not so much in real life, at least without a lot of practice. I started rolling out dough and shaping about 5:30 ish and we didn't eat until 7:00, and I NEVER stopped working on them. I know there's always a learning curve, but jeez louise. I still have another 24 to roll out and shape that will be going in the freezer. Several of them sprung a leak, some because I stretched the dough too much so that it was too thin and tore and/or poked it with a fingernail, and some because I forgot to spray the lettuce lining the steamer basked with cooking spray (recipe said to, I just was so tired and wanted to be done with it by then that I forgot, obviously there was a reason for it) and they stuck to the leaves. Even the ones that sprung a leak were pretty good, and every single one of them got eaten.

I didn't much like the sauce in the Bon Appetit recipe, WAY too much vinegar for me, but Craig thought it was pretty good.

I only took a pic of the dinner plate last night. I'll take a pic of a ready to shape one later today when I finish them up for the freezer.

Obviously, if you aren't doing a recipe that needs a yeast-dough wrapper, I'd recommend you go with the frozen wrappers you can buy in Oriental markets. Unfortunately, the ones in the markets around here aren't quite as big as what the recipe called for. Guess I could just use a smaller amount of filling and I may do just that today if I will have some wrappers in the freezer instead of messing with rolling out 24 more little circles. We'll see. Having the wrappers already made is a HUGE plus in my book.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #33
Head Chef

Oh, I did find a little tip about the filling while doing these. Mix the filling as little as possible as over-mixing causes it to become dense and tough.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Looks beautiful medtran
Old 09-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #35
Master Chef

Those are so cute, medtran! They look like they are a lot of work. It took me forever the first time I made my own pot stickers. It also was my last time. I think it's gonna stay that way...
Old 09-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #36
Head Chef

Thanks ladies, but I think they are a bit rough looking. At least they tasted good.

CG, I encourage you to try again with the premade wrappers. I've made the potstickers enough that I can fill and shape 50 in just over a-half hour using a tablespoon scoop and making them assembly line style in batches. Once you get the pleating down it goes fast.

I ended up freezing the rest of the filling, just didn't feel like messing with them again tonight.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #37
Master Chef

That's OK, medtran, if I'm going to practice stuffing something properly, I think I'll first work on pierogis. They're basically Polish pot stickers anyway! I have made fresh spring rolls several times since my first fight with the wraps, and I'm no longer clumsy with that rice paper. Baby steps.

I know you mentioned using gyoza wrappers when I tried making pot stickers that one time. It's on my list. We just haven't taken the 64 miles drive, give or take five miles depending on which route you take, to the Asian grocery store we like. There are a couple closer, but they're tiny and smell...odd. And not in a good way "odd".
Old 09-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Chinese Dough meets ... Challenge!

I dunno, medtran, they look pretty dang good to me. But I certainly understand why you want pre-made wrappers. What a pain.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #39
Sous Chef

I did this tonight!

I had some Chinese bao in the freezer, so I steamed some of those puffy little taco shaped buns.

The fushion came from duck confit (french), pickled watermelon rind (American south), Chinese barbecue sauce, peanuts (more Thai than Chinese), cilantro (almost everywhere).

On the side we had some leftover pistachio apricot quinoa (north African).

Very tasty morsels.
I'll post some pics later.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #40
Head Chef

Sounds good SilverSage. Can't wait for pics.

Tags
chinese, dough