Chinese Dough meets ... Challenge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They look a little simple, but they packed a punch of flavor.

Attachments

• 2016-09-06 18.16.53.jpg
    2016-09-06 18.16.53.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 2016-09-06 18.16.57.jpg
    2016-09-06 18.16.57.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 151
WOW how did I miss this thread? Just finished reading all the posts but the only pics that show are the last two. What happened?

I've been making my own Won Tons for years. Have just recently started with DimSum - Pot Stickers and Dumplings. I am very fortunate to have a really good Asian market near... well, ok, it is 45 min there, 45 min (or more) browsing, and 45 min home... and then I have to stop at the Kitchen Ware store on my way home, just in case I have any money left over...

I can get frozen wrappers for Pot Stickers and Dumplings. They are different thickness'. Also one is made with egg and the other not. The egg one says it is for dumplings, seems to be thinner and there are approx. 83 pcs per pkg.
The no egg one is for pot stickers, is thicker and there are approx. 45 pcs per pkg.
Both pkg are 3409 g.

All the pics still show up for me and they are all still in my "dinner" album (not dinner 2) in the same place so don't know why links wouldn't work. Did you get the little box? try right clicking on the box?

They all turned up today! Don't know what I did yesterday.

Oh my - haven't had breakfast but I think I'm heading to the freezer to pull out some dumplings to steam. :yum: :LOL:

I have to practice the steaming/frying part with the dim sums and I always manage to tear the dumplings too. Perhaps I cook them too long? ahh practice, practice practice... :yum: :yum: ;)

Last edited:
Well I haven't had any problems with tearing with the premade wrappers unless I accidentally poke a fingernail through.

I've gathered some tips along the way. When steaming, either steam on little squares of parchment paper or use cabbage or lettuce leaves that have been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. NEVER EVER steam directly on the bamboo.

When making potstickers, I always use a nonstick pan and still use plenty of vegetable or canola oil and I don't really move them, just turn the entire pan about half-way through the initial cooking time, maybe jiggle pan a bit, and cook until golden brown on bottom. If there's any resistance when you try to check the bottoms, they are either not brown enough to release yet or you didn't use enough oil. If I remember correctly it takes about 6-8 minutes over medium heat. Then, I rotate the pan back to the original spot, put in the water to steam them, and cook until done, turning the pan again about half-way through to ensure they cook evenly. Total steaming time of about 8-10 minutes, adding water in small amounts if needed so pan doesn't dry out. I've never had one stick or tear doing it this way. You want to pull them when there is still some residual oil/water left in the pan, don't ever cook it totally dry. Just wipe out residual oil/water with paper towels before starting the next batch.

Thanks medtran, I do steam on parchment, lettuce or cabbage leaves, never thought of spraying them thou. It is usually just as I'm plating them they tear. Sometimes I can tell I wasn't careful enough closing them up and there is an airpocket that has expanded. I guess it also wouldn't hurt to spray the dumpling itself a tiny bit.

That air could be with the others too - I use sesame oil to fry as that is how I see it in most recipes. Perhaps I'm just not using enough. Asian market girls all insist on sesame oil too. They laugh and keep saying practice practice, very easy, practice practice! LOL

Back
Top Bottom