Chinese dumplings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
Hi i love dim sum has anyone got tried and tested recipes . Also i have dumplings in a chilli soup which i think could be chilli oil which is also very nice.

Thank you i will try that , but the dish i want to try make is pork dumplings in this chili soup type thing . Is it a common dish .

Well, I recommend you get a copy of Florence Lin's Complete Book of Chinese Noodles, Dumplings and Breads. It's a hard find and you'll bleed through the nose on the price tag, but it is the gold standard. As for pork dumplings in chili, I think that's not an uncommon combination.

Chinese dumplings...there are the boiled kind which is made often. I don't know much about the chili soup you're talking about though.

Dumpling Wrappers/Skins

1 lb ground pork
1 lb garlic chives

soy sauce
flour
Beaten Egg

You'll just want to chop up the garlic chives into 1 cm long pieces and mix them with the ground pork and the soy sauce and the flour.

The soy sauce adds salt and enhances the flavor of the pork and the chive; the flour serves as a thickener so that the little dumplings inside the wrappers doesn't fall apart when it comes out.

From that point you can be as creative as you want, sometimes I add sugar and rice wine, sometimes I'll add more american/western herbs and spices. Maybe a little garlic chili sauce would make it special?

Take a beaten egg and using your finger, outline the outer edge of one half of a wrapper with the egg. Fill the wrapper with just a small amount of filling, maybe a tablespoon, then fold over and press the two sides together. Make sure all the air has been pressed out.

So thats one done. When you have all you want done you can boil them on the spot, fry them on the spot, or freeze them for use later.

I know this was a little bit thrown together! But I hope this helps.

Yeah thanks this is something i am planning on doing in a few weeks so i got some time too prepare.

IF your asian i was wondering if u could ask around , the sauce seemed to be chilli oil with a kick a bit like hot and sour soup a nice winter dish which i need to perfect in the summer.

It sounds like some type of soup with garlic chili oil added to it. We eat a great variety of soups.....wonton soup, udon noodle soup etc. with different flavors, but always add the chili oil to our bowl as a condiment. I will look in a recipe book I have and get back to you soon.

Hot and sour soup is an easy make. Ya, it would go well with steamed pork dumplings. I leave the pork out of the soup when I make it. Just tofu for protein. My friends say it is the best hot and sour soup in the Twin Cities. Who am I go argue with them:)

The only thing I could find was wonton soup with finely sliced mushrooms and carrots. Maybe there is chili sauce and rice vinegar in the soup, because sometimes, we dip our wontons in that type of mixture. Hope you find out what it is. =) I am curious now.

My chinese exchange student combines ground beef and ground pork with habanero peppers, garlic, and salt and puts them in store-bought dumpling wrappers. It's simple but it is very good. He then dips them in a sauce made with white vinegar and soy sauce. Any leftover meat mix he rolls into a ball and then rolls the ball in a bowl of rice and garnishes them with baby shrimp.

Hi i found a picture of the dish i meant .
camy-shanghai-dumpling-and-noodle.html

If you scroll down u should see the chilli oil dish

Off the spork: Camy Shanghai Dumpling and Noodle Restaurant

any assitance making the chilli oil soup would be most aprreciated

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom