"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-07-2004, 06:07 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Wasabi, that's how I've made mine since my college days. My cousin taught me to do it that way.

I'm lazy, though. I use frozen vegetables. Peas & Carrots, Green Beans, etc. I also use a massive dose of garlic.

Old 11-07-2004, 06:31 AM   #12
Executive Chef

A little fresh ginger is nice, too - and I'm definitely in the 'not olive oil' category -too heavy! Soy or peanut oil is fine.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:03 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Dark Soy Sauce...aka Double Black Sauce is a totally different product than the normal thin lite soy sauce that you buy in most markets. The product I'm referring to is sold in Asian Markets. I'm fortunate to have China Town a subway or car ride away..it is there that I shop for my authentic Asian ingred.
It is this product that I use in Fried Rice.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:18 PM   #14
Senior Cook

MSG is not a carcinogen, nor is it bad for you. Soy sauce contains naturally occuring MSG. Billions of Asians consume MSG laden foods every day with absolutely no ill consequences to their health. The main driving force behind the 'MSG is bad for you' myth isn't based on science, it's based on fear of foreigners, aka, xenophia. If you tell an Asian MSG is bad for them, they'll laugh in your face. And rightfully so.

If MSG concerns you, you shouldn't be making fried rice with soy sauce, nor should you eat tomatoes or parmesan cheese, as they contain naturally occuring MSG as well.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=54668

OU8thisSN, click the link. The high heat, the type of soy sauce, regional Chinese approaches to the dish, the science behind refrigerating the rice - all there. I don't normally go out of my way to direct people to other discussion forums, but in this case, all your answers, and more, are there.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:00 AM   #15
Master Chef

Mushrooms too, have a naturally occuring MSG in them. That's part of what makes them so good with so many things. :)

Fried rice is definitely one of those foods that requires a careful ballance of flavors, something savory, like mushrooms, salt, soy sauce, etc, with the sweetness or the rice, a touch of Chinese 5-spice powder, snow peas, etc. Color comes in the form of carrot, celery, snow peas, etc. The meat should be light as well. Pork or poultry are naturals for stir fry, as is shrimp or crab meat. Scallops are good, as long as they are minced, and not to great in quantity. And peanut, or a neutral flavored oil such as sunflower oil is preffered to moisten the mixture.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:19 AM   #16

Sorry Scott123, but I'll disagree with you on soya sauce, if not MSG...

Soya sauce will skyrocket your bloodpressure and do evil things to your heart...

I'm not sure what the crab is on MSG, aside to know there is one, but you CANNOT eat a North American diet and compare yourself with an Asian in what will have positive/negative effects...

Re-read or contact Audeo on her several posts and give your head a shake!

Or skin an ounce of chicken off a cooked carcass and mix it in with your rice and noodles, as is the case in Asia (in case you've never been there and seen the real life thing!) just to "flavour" it...because that's about how much "meat" it in the diet there, as compared with 1 pound steaks per person here....

And donate a bunch to Heart Disease Research...it'll be investing in yourself, the way you're going at it!

Lifter
Old 11-08-2004, 12:38 AM   #17
Master Chef

Lifter; I use the Lite, or low sodium soy sauce. I find the other too salty for my tastes. And I use just a little. I like the flavor much better. In fact, I don't really care for regular soy sauce. I never used it until the lighter versions came out. And I agree with you. Too much sodium, whether caused by MSG, or salt, is hard on the heart, can cause strokes, angina, water retention, and other things not good for our bodies.

I'm fortunate in that our family has a history of strong hearts and no one with high blood pressure. Unfourtunately, we have other problems. I think all of us on this planet have some inherited genetic weakness of some kind.

After all, if we outsmart the fast-moving objects trying to run us down, and choose only the aircraft that arrive safely to their destinations, and avoid slipping on ice and cracking our heads wide open, well, there has to be something to propell us past this limited mortality :)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:48 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Lifter, telling someone they are going to develop heart disease is in extremely poor taste. There are certain lines you shouldn't cross in polite conversation, regardless of the depth of commitment to an ideal.

So, you're anti-salt, good for you. If you want to live your life terrified of food, go for it, but please don't project your fears on me. My intake of sodium is a fraction of the norm.

Some sodium intake is necessary for our bodies to function. An excess of sodium is where you get into problems. Am I advocating excess sodium intake? Of course not! I avoid processed high sodium foods and I use only minimal amounts of salt in my cooking. If anything my use of MSG lowers the sodium in my food since much less salt is needed when the two are combined.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:30 PM   #19
Sous Chef

>> If MSG concerns you, you shouldn't be making fried rice with soy sauce, nor should you eat tomatoes or parmesan cheese, as they contain naturally occuring MSG as well.

You know I guess some people dont understand the concept of MODERATION.

salt occurs in many things naturally too. I dont advocate dousing my food with it though.

The other logical fallacy is that you admit some foods contain MSG naturally and then you advocate adding more of it. Huh?
Old 11-08-2004, 02:33 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Also, you should not be stir frying w/ olive oil (the original poster on this thread).

Hot temps and olive oil is thought to produce carcinogens, at least some sources claim this. How much, how bad, I dunno, but the taste will be off.

Tags
None