Chinese fried rice... missing something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sarah said:
i think they use chinese salt which is not like regular salt,its called ajino motto.

I am pretty sure that (Aji-No-Motto) is the Japanese name for MSG.

sarah said:
i think they use chinese salt which is not like regular salt,its called ajino motto.

Ajinomoto is a company which makes all kinds of food chemicals and food products. You can find them in asian markets.

What I think you are referring to is their brand name of MSG. It's not real salt or "chinese salt," it's plain old MSG -- which some people like and others abhor.

Aji-no-moto in Japanese literally means "essence of tase" or "at the origin of flavor". The term refers to MSG isolated from kombu seaweed by a Japanese chemist in 1908. It's also the MSG-manufacturing company's name and the brand name for their various products.

It might interest people to know that MSG is sold to consumers as Ac'cent and Zest.

I think I mentioned this on DC somewhere before but can't find it.

For those who wish to use MSG, I heard this from the mouth of a prominent Professor of Chinese
Traditional Medicine some years ago.
MSG in itself is not dangerous to the health.
MSG is a protein from wheat. Like all proteins they oxidise with high heat.
The safe way to use MSG is to add it just before the dish is finished cooking.
This guy was in Australia, promoting healthy Chinese cooking techniques to some Chinese chefs here.

Try stir-frying the UNCOOKED rice until it's starting to brown, then add it to boiling water with 2 or 3 chicken stock cubes added (be careful, the hot rice will make the water boil up, so add it gradually!) Scramble the eggs until they are flaking and add to the cooked rice along with soy sauce (light), to taste and any fried veggies you want to add.

This is the most authentic tasting fried rice technique I've tried - even though it's not cooked in an authentic way LOL!

Paint.

Yep, it is unusual, but it works :) I use jasmine rice or basmati rice. Use enough stock so you have to drain the rice afterwards, that stops it getting sticky.

Paint.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom