"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-06-2004, 08:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chinese fried rice... missing something

Hi everyone. I just googled "cooking forum" and found this place. I hope you guys can help. I am very novice at cooking, and only know how to make a few things, but i'm willing to learn. Anyway, I really like chinese fried rice, and googled a few reciepes, but none taste as authentic or smell like the "real" stuff you get at any chinese restaurants. Please tell me what i'm missing or doing wrong?

here's what i've tried:

i take some olive oil and sautee onions, bok choy, and bean sprouts in it. Then i scramble 1 or two eggs in it.

I add 1 cup of cooked rice to it, and then i add a liberal amount of Kikkoman Soy Sauce. I stir that around for 7 or so minutes and eat it.

It tastes a lot like the stuff at restaurants, but itsnt totally authentic. what am i missing?

Old 11-06-2004, 09:05 PM   #2
Head Chef

Hi OU8! I think know what you mean by that missing taste. I've wondered about it myself too.

Somehow homecooked Chinese fried rice doesn't taste the same as in the Chinese resto. I'm thinking it might be that slightly toasted taste that's very pleasant.

I've asked an acquaintance who owns an authentic Chinese resto here and she was very quick to say (without me mentioning the toasted taste) that the difference is caused by the intense fire that they cook with. Have you ever peered into their kitchens? They put their woks on industrial stoves that spew 6-in high flames.

Anyway, I've never confirmed this as I can't recreate that scenario at home for fear of losing my eyebrows (which might end up to be the least of my problems). LOL!

Old 11-06-2004, 09:17 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
That's mostly how I make it. I also add garlic and shrimp or pork, some times a bit of oyster sauce. But I've had a few people tell me tastes like the Chinese restaurant. Try a smidge of oyster.
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:35 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
here's fried rice real chinese style and not as oily as resturants.

So you first steam some rice. In a pan you first put vegetable oil and cook your slices of meat like chicken sausage etc. until done, then you add in a little bit of oil and throw in the rice and vegetables. Toss the rice on high heat and add in oyster sauce i think thats wut its called. its like soy sauce paste. don't over add it. High heat high heat and quickly toss the rice around for like 2 minute or 1 1/2 minute. turn to low or even off Add in egg and stir around until the egg is done. Well i have a stove that shoots up 6 in flames on high, but this method works on home stoves.
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:38 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Yes Oyster sauce... NOT hoison sauce.. that's too sweet.... Oyster sauce!
Yum
Old 11-06-2004, 09:38 PM   #6
Senior Cook

This was recently discussed in a forum I frequent. Here are the highlights:

Char siu pork (red cooked pork)
Soybean or peanut oil (definitely not olive)
Day old refrigerated rice (very important that it be chilled overnight)
A small amount fresh garlic/ginger (maybe)
MSG (definitely)
A tiny amount of toasted sesame oil (drop or two)
scallions
Dark soy sauce
Very high heat

Here is the entire discussion (it's quite lengthy):

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=54668

The other tip I'd give you is to buy some fried from your favorite restaurant and analyze the ingredients. Bok choy might be delicious in fried rice, but I doubt many restaurants add it. A lot of ingredients like this could be easily discerned by a visual inspection.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:40 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

so are you guys saying chinese restaurants dont even use soy sauce? just Hoisin or oyster sauce? I have a gas stove, I should keep it at max high? i didnt think anyone cooked anything on high.. .how do i keep it from burning?

edit: also, isnt MSG bad for you? i thought it was a carsinogen. I know a lot of restaurants in nashville have a sticker that says they dont use it.
anyway, i dont have a wok, is that absolutely necessary? can i just use a big non stick pot?
Old 11-06-2004, 09:52 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
i don't use wok i use big non stick pot msg is bad for you yes it is eats away your stomach lining somehow so i never use it. i use max high and sometimes i just take the pan off the stove after i put it on max high for like 5 seconds. its all coordination. I put it on max high (like 8 in flame) and stir den i remove it and stir then i put it to medium heat and start stiring. Fried rice is just plain rice with some type of sauce and briefly stired in a pan with a little oil.

I sometimes use chinese vegeterian mushroom sauce another paste like sauce.
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:54 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I use my big cast iron skillet.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:27 AM   #10
Senior Cook

This comes from the man who developed Yoshida's Teryaki Sauce.

Fried Rice

Refrigerate the rice overnight.

I then mix in the soy sauce and oyster sauce into the cold rice.
It separates the rice and evenly coats each grain.

I then saute chopped up ham, roast pork, or even left over steak.
Add in peas, carrots, etc. Frozen veggies are real handy.
Saute until veggies are just barely cooked.
Add in chopped garlic and saute for a few seconds.

Toss in the rice and fry until rice is heated through.
Make a hole in the middle and crack a couple of eggs in the hole.
Mix the eggs to partially scramble and finally, mix into the fried rice.

Good Luck!

Tags
None