"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #11
Head Chef

thanks going to try both recipes this week

Old 07-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
Cook

QSis: tried the lemon chicken tonight. Me or my family were not into that recipe much. It is not like the one we are used to having. I will continue to try other recipes. Thanks anyway!

Old 07-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
Head Chef

Sorry it didn't hit the mark for you, peeper. But when you do find a recipe that's like the lemon chicken you are used to, please post it. I'm interested in trying others as well!

Lee
Old 07-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #14
Senior Cook

This is my favourite Chinese lemon chicken:

Main ingredients: 1 1/2 cup of lemonade, 2 chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lb), 1 lemon, some breadcrumbs. 1 egg

For each chicken breast, use the food mallet to pound slightly on the breast to flatten it. Trim off the fat. Cut each breast into about 4 pieces. Set them aside. Sprinkle a pinch of salt on the chicken breasts. (Suggest: 1 tsp total for 2 breasts). Optionally, you may sprinkle some fresh ground pepper on the chicken breast as well. Cut the lemon in half. Save 2 small slices for garnishing. Prepare to coat the chicken breast before frying: Pour about 6 to 7 tblsp of corn starch on a swallow dish. Break one egg into a small bowl and scramble it. Pour about 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs onto a flat dish.

Cooking Instructions: Use a small pot, add 1 cup of lemonade. Set stove at high. Squeeze the juice from the fresh lemon into the pot (strain off the seeds). Add 5 to 6 tsp of sugar. Bring the lemonade to a boil and continue to boil until the liquid has roughly reduced in half.

On a second stove: Use a wok/pan, set stove at medium high, add a generous 7 to 8 tblsp of cooking oil. Heat the oil to frying temperature.

For each piece of chicken breast patty, first dust it with some corn starch. Try to cover the chicken meat the best you can. Then coat the chicken breast with some eggs. Finally, coat the chicken breast with some breadcrumbs. Try to make sure the entire piece is covered on both sides.

Lay the chicken breast flat on the frying pan. Shallow-fry the breast until the crust turns golden brown. About 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Fry multiple pieces at a time. When both sides have turned golden brown, remove from pan and lay on top of a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Continue with another batch of chicken breast patties.

Cut each piece of chicken breast patty into bite-size. Assemble the cut chicken breast patties on the dinner plate.

After the lemonade has reduced in half, use corn starch slurry (suggest: about 3 tsp of corn starch with 3 tsp of water.) Adjust as necessary to thicken the sauce to the right consistency.

This version of sauce is 5 to 6 tsp of sugar to 1 cup lemonade (reduced), with juice from one fresh lemon (note: no extra vinegar is needed) has just the right sweet-to-sour ratio in my taste. Served it with steamed broccoli and rice with bacon and scallions.

--Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Cooper'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I have a great alternative recipe for Chinese Lemon Chicken.

Give it a try ...
Old 09-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #16
Head Chef

mmmm, I like the marinating step, linguini!

Lee
Old 01-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Regular long grain white rice, letscook.

Evidently, the rice to liquid ratio is what makes it taste and FEEL like fried rice from a Chinese restaurant! I've made it a bunch of times now, and it always comes out perfect. I just use some chopped onion, fresh bean sprouts and chopped scallions.

Lee
You're right. Your photo of the Lemon Chicken is not very aesthetic at all. I just tried to eat my monitor. Wow. Don't ever do this to me again.!!!
Old 01-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #18
Senior Cook

WOW, I really love the idea behind this "fried" rice. Seems a lot healthier. Do you think I could throw all the ingredients into my slow cooker?

Thanks for posting.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #19
Head Chef

I am going to try this oven baked fried rice recipe - sounds so easy compared to the way I make my fried rice. I'm curious to try the lemon chicken too - I've been craving Chinese food so I am drooling over your picture - looks delish.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
Master Chef

Fried Rice in a crockpot? Please, please don't! Actually, "Fried Rice" isn't really all that "fried", & is perfectly healthy just as it is. Veggies, small amounts of protein (shrimp, meat, poultry, tofu) stirfried quickly in about 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over high heat. Then seasonings & cold &/or day-old cooked rice is added & just heated through. Exactly how much "healthier" do you want?

Sorry, but the very idea of "Crockpot Fried Rice" gives me visions of nothing but glop. Well prepared regular Fried Rice is healthy enough as is.

Tags
None