Chinese Pepper Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for your recipe, Andy. It sounds delicious to me and it's copied and printed to try soon. There's no question there are a multitude of variations of any recipe but I for one, appreciate you sharing yours with us.
Sheesh.:rolleyes:

The reason I like this site is that people have got the xxxxx to post their recipe's or their spin on an original,slavish adherence stifles. Thanks Handy Andy.

I love pepper steak but I do mine lil different - no set recipe sorry

beef of your choice about a pound of meat - sliced thin - marniated in a soy sauce while preparing everything else
large onion -diced medium
couple gloves of garlic chopped up.
1-2 green peppers sliced - sometimes green & red
(sometimes I add mushrooms)
can of beef broth or your homemade
cornstarch
salt & pepper

in hot pan and peanut or canola oil saute meat till color changes
remove and then do onions, garlic, peppers salt & pepper till soften
add meat and its juices it created back into the pan
add about 2 tbl of cornstarch to the broth and pout into the meat mixture
stir until thickens - add soysauce to taste,
serve on white rice or fried rice.

My favorite Chinese restaurant, in Laramie, WY, made a Beef & Pepper dish with fresh tomato wedges tossed in at the last minute. It was so good, the restaurant is now closed. Andy's sounds alot like that recipe!

My favorite Chinese restaurant, in Laramie, WY, made a Beef & Pepper dish with fresh tomato wedges tossed in at the last minute. It was so good, the restaurant is now closed. Andy's sounds alot like that recipe!

Sometimes I add some onion or sliced mushrooms. It all depends on what I have on hand and how lazy I am that day.

I'll have to try tomato sometime.

Sometimes I add some onion or sliced mushrooms. It all depends on what I have on hand and how lazy I am that day.

I'll have to try tomato sometime.

The tomato was cooked just enough to be softened. All of the veg were in chunks, easy to eat with chopsticks. The onions and peppers were about a 1/2 inch slice, tomatoes about 1 inch.

I've come close to the dish, but never spot on.

Charlie, you can see the grain of the meat (the muscle fibers). The instructions is to make cuts parallel to the muscle fibers.

Tip Freeze beef half way then cut to get thin slices.
Beef, Peppers black bean sauce.
Hot wok, toss in chunks of green peppers, same size chunks of onions, thin sliced ginger stir fry, then chopped garlic, then beef, then black been sauce, a little stock, if you have prepped everything it should take 7 mins.

If you cut WITH the grain isn't the meat tough? I always cut meats like flank steak or corned beef against/across the grain so it will be tender.

If you cut WITH the grain isn't the meat tough? I always cut meats like flank steak or corned beef against/across the grain so it will be tender.

You are correct, BUT, That's only the first of two cuts. After cutting with the grain, you end up with 4-6 strips as long as the whole flank steak. Then you make cuts across the grain of the strips to make 1/4" thick slices. it ends up very tender.

You could also slice the whole flank steak across the grain then cut each strip in smaller pieces. Same effect.

Interesting. Don't thry usually want the meat cut against the grain?

Yes, and when I read it I thought, "With the grain???" But, then I finished reading and realized that with the grain was just the first cut. It makes it easier to get uniform slices of thinly sliced meat, cut against the grain.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom