Chinese Shallow-Fried Trout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
I made this for the first time last night & really enjoyed it. I'm not a fan of freshwater fish, but this will definitely be added to my favorites.

"Shallow-Fried Trout", adapted fromThe Key To Chinese Cooking by Irene Kuo.

2 trout, cleaned
1 teaspoon salt
cornstarch
Approx. 5 tablespoons oil for frying (canola, peanut, etc.)
1 tablespoon coarsely minced peeled fresh ginger
4 small scallions, coarsely chopped

Sauce:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons sugar

Score fish on a slant 3 times on each side. Add salt & enough cornstarch to coat fish to a Ziplock bag. Add fish & toss until thoroughly coated. Combine the sauce seasonings in a small bowl.

Heat a large heavy skillet (I used my large cast-iron pan) over high heat until very hot; add the oil, swirl, & heat for 30 seconds. Scatter in the ginger & scallions & stir briskly. Push them to the side of the pan & add the fish. Brown the fish for 1 minute on each side, then turn the heat down to low & continue to cook each side about 3-4 minutes.

Give the sauce a stir, turn the fish pan back to high & splash the sauce directly over the fish, turning the fish over in the sauce as it sizzles. Remove fish to serving plates.

I was really concerned at how blackened the fish became & was ready for a "charred" experience. Imagine my surprise when the blackened fish turned out to be crispy & outrageously delicious, without even the very slightest taste of char. Go figure.

Served it with Braised Baby Bok Choy - recipe on another thread.

Last edited:
congratulations,i see the step and the ingredient is much more like chinese home cookings. it is right.
this one is often cooked in china home.i usually don't like eat fish before,but now after i eat some delicous ones,my mind has changed.about the last 15 years ,china have invent some new kinds fish dishs,they are true delicious, but i find they all must be cooked with chinese special spicy.it is my affliction. how can i show friends the step and you can get the material to cook.i have mail some things to oversea.i find that the mail fee is
expensive ,and i am afraid the postoffice don't allow them be post.
haha,it seem there are some obstacles ahead.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom