Chinese Style Red BBQ Rib Bites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
Cha Shu

Ok so you know those little red strips of bbq ribs that you find at a chinese buffet? How do you do it. Theyre always so sweet, carmalized and delicious....and RED!

Last edited:
well there is food colouring in it

that's obvious
the recipe varies
most times it's hoisin, soy, malt sugar, garlic and 5 spice powder and add red food colouring
overnight marination
and slow cooking intially in the oven or smoker then high heat for carmelization

Last edited:
I wonder if that is the same for the chicken threaded on a skewer that is red. My grandson loves them ! His Dad told him it is squirrel on a stick! lol

Barb L. said:
I wonder if that is the same for the chicken threaded on a skewer that is red. My grandson loves them ! His Dad told him it is squirrel on a stick! lol
his dad is a bad man
well if it tastes similar yes it could be
it is often done
when i do char siu i omit the red food colouring
not as pretty but just as tasty

3 pounds lean pork loin
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 tsp fresh garlic
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup malt sugar or honey
1 tablespoon rice wine or sherry
1 tablespoon chinese 5 spice powder
1 teaspoon red food coloring (opt)

Mix all ingredients except the pork to make a marinade. Marinate the pork for at least 2 hours; overnight is even better.

The trick is the cooking process. I hope there is something in the top of your oven that you can wire the pork to so it can hang free during the roasting with a pan of water placed directly beneath it.

Roast the pork at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Let cool and slice thin. Serve with hot mustard and toasted sesame seeds.

If you do not have a way of hanging the pork you can use a perforated pan placed on an upper shelf directly above the pan of water. Be sure to turn the pork occasionally.

You can serve the yummy slices with plain rice or add them to noodles. Alternatively, chop them up and make Char Siu Pow (steamed dumpling).

obiwan9962 said:
3 pounds lean pork loin
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 tsp fresh garlic
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup malt sugar or honey
1 tablespoon rice wine or sherry
1 tablespoon chinese 5 spice powder
1 teaspoon red food coloring (opt)

Mix all ingredients except the pork to make a marinade. Marinate the pork for at least 2 hours; overnight is even better.

The trick is the cooking process. I hope there is something in the top of your oven that you can wire the pork to so it can hang free during the roasting with a pan of water placed directly beneath it.

Roast the pork at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Let cool and slice thin. Serve with hot mustard and toasted sesame seeds.

If you do not have a way of hanging the pork you can use a perforated pan placed on an upper shelf directly above the pan of water. Be sure to turn the pork occasionally.

I use a similar recipe except mine includes ginger but no ketchup.

I put a rack across the top of a roasting pan that has hot water in it and baste with the marinade every 10 minutes for most of the cooking time.

Andy M. said:
I use a similar recipe except mine includes ginger but no ketchup.

I put a rack across the top of a roasting pan that has hot water in it and baste with the marinade every 10 minutes for most of the cooking time.
i sometimes use ginger too but depends on my mood

Actually. the OP was asking about ribs, not pork loin. We missed that guys.

I'll report back when I try it, which may be as soon as tonight. I was looking for something to make for dinner.

Andy M. said:
Actually. the OP was asking about ribs, not pork loin. We missed that guys.

I'll report back when I try it, which may be as soon as tonight. I was looking for something to make for dinner.
i use the marinate for ribs, pork loin, pork butt (more traditional), chicken, turkey, etc...

BBQ Mikey said:
Ok so you know those little red strips of bbq ribs that you find at a chinese buffet? How do you do it. Theyre always so sweet, carmalized and delicious....and RED!

Search for "Char Sui"

I do a similar thing with pork loin, I marinade overnight and a day with the same ingredients mentioned but no ketchup or hoisin, I do use cochineal red color also.
this is put over the loin (all fat removed) as a paste and then wrapped in cling film, shoved in the fridge and ignored until next day.

take it out of the film remove excess marinade, and rewrap it several times then wrap in tin foil.
place the meat in a pan of boiling water for half an hour, take it out and leave it.

when cool cut it into medalion slices about 3mm thick.

use as would for chinese pork in whatever dish you want to make :)

Im giving it a whirl. I am using that recipe, thanks Obi! I will cover with foil and bake, I may grill (in foil) with extra sauce (not marinade) for a few minutes to carmalize, or toss in the wok.

any cooking suggestions folks? I dont have any way to suspend these pork bits... i kinda want them to be like typical pork medallions you see at a buffet.

BBQ Mikey said:
any cooking suggestions folks? I dont have any way to suspend these pork bits... i kinda want them to be like typical pork medallions you see at a buffet.

Mikey, cook the tenderloin whole (unsliced). In place of suspending, place a rack across the top of a roasting pan or baking dish and put the meat on the rack. Fill the dih with hot water and roast. The meat should be uncovered, not wrapped

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom