Chinese Take-away menu items

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
We got dinner from a new chineese take-away place this evening and there were two things on the menu that I didn't recognize. I asked what they were but to be honest I really didn't understand the explaination and the two people trying to explain it to me were having a hard time finding the correct word.

Does anyone know what these are:

He Fun (they had Beef or Shrimp He Fun) I think there are wide noodles involved with this dish???

or

Fried Rice Noodles (they have pork, chicken, beef or shrimp Fried Rice Noodles)

I think FUN is noodles in the world of Chinese food. Don't know what the "he" means.

Fried rice noodles = rice noodles that have been fried, not fried rice that has been made into noodles.

I think FUN is noodles in the world of Chinese food. Don't know what the "he" means.

Fried rice noodles = rice noodles that have been fried, not fried rice that has been made into noodles.

Thanks Andy!

So maybe it is Beef with noodles. That might be worth a try.

I wasn't sure what they would put in Fried Rice Noodles. But at $8 for a small order I'm not sure if that one will be tried soon.

Chinese food is really great and I love them. But as far as I know "Hipon" is the Filipino term for "Shrimp". So am guessing it means that the noodles have shrimp on it.

The fried rice noodles is one of my favorite dishes; thin, vermicelli type rice noodles tossed over a flame with the veggies and/or meat. If I remember right, in Hawaii, the fun was a thicker, wider rice noodle. The latter wasn't one of my favorites, but I'd buy them to send to Mom, who loved them (not readily available outside of Asian grocery stores). I think Chow Fun meant they were stir-fried, but don't know what the he would mean. It's been too many years!

Thanks all. Makes me more inclined to try these know sort of what to expect.

Back
Top Bottom