"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
Head Chef

Well, Carol, that was a VERY interesting link! Jiaozi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia They look so good!

No wonder I can't find Peking raviolis in any of my Chinese cookbooks, and why internet friends don't know what I'm talking about: the phrase was coined by Joyce Chen for her restaurant in Cambridge, MA. !

Now I'm going to look for the correct wrappers (I've always wrapped stuff in wonton wrappers) at the Asian supermarket in my store.

My friends and I have copies of the book 1,000 Chinese Recipes. I'm going through it, page by page, marking possibilities for our feast. We are looking mainly at finger foods, but there are so many great looking dishes that it's going to be tough to narrow down our choices!

Oh, and I can't find Crab Rangoon and Scallion Pancakes in my book either. What else can I look under?

Thanks for the helpful tips, everyone!

Lee

Old 01-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #12
Master Chef

Although I haven't made these yet, I do have all the ingredients on hand & might give them a whirl this weekend. Although obviously not "authentic", since Crab Rangoons are fried rather than baked, the ingredients are still very similar to what the restaurants use, & I'm willing to try anything that doesn't force me to deep-fry, which I HATE - lol! You might not find Crab Rangoon in many real Chinese cookbooks because it's really an Americanized invention.

Baked Crab Rangoons

RecipeDetail

Old 01-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Oh, and I can't find Crab Rangoon and Scallion Pancakes in my book either. What else can I look under?
Lee
Let me look in my recipe books tonight for a scallion pancake recipe. Oddly enough, we rarely had these at home and always went out for them on weekends. Nothing comes to mind other than dim sum dishes for finger foods but let me do some searching and see what I've got.

One thing to consider if you can find it near you is to get some Chinese bbq pork (char siu) or Chinese roast duck to go with the scallion pancakes. And if you're up to it, you can even make either of these meat dishes yourself.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
Senior Cook

QSis, I looked through all my Chinese cookbooks but couldn't find a recipe for scallion pancakes. Found one for flour buns but no pancakes. But I found a recipe by Ming Tsai on Food Network that sounds similar to how my uncles used to make them in the restaurants. I think the instructions on how to form the pancake is better from his ming.com website. Yum, I might have to make some this weekend.

As for finger foods, I found 2 recipes that might be of interest. One is for Crispy Shrimp Ball and another one for Sesame Shrimp Roll. Let me know if you're interested in either.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #15
Head Chef

Thank you, plumies!!! I have a recipe for Deep-Fried Crabmeat Balls already earmarked.

Am also thinking about chicken wings, "barbecued" pork strips (I've made char sui many times), braised chicken balls, something called "Gold Coin Pork" (involves skewering stuff and deep-frying it), and braised beef short-ribs.

As well as rangoon and egg rolls. I want pu-pu platter type stuff.

My friends ALSO want egg foo yung, some sort of moo shu, and some kind of lo mein. And maybe rice. I love all those things, but I REALLY love picking at finger foods, rather than eating a sit-down dinner with bowls and plates!

There's also a recipe for a salad of smashed radishes and smashed cucumber chunks. Smashed so that the marinade can penetrate. I definitely want THAT!

But I've only made it through about 500 of the 1,000 recipes in the book

This is going to be SO fun!!!

I may have to PM you, plumies, when I get in over my head!

Lee
Old 01-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Oh, I'm so hungry now.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:44 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
One of the last times my mother went home to Taiwan, she picked up a few copies of some of the Chinese cookbooks that she's been using for 30+ years so I could stop stealing hers. In one of them is a recipe for what I think are your scallion pancakes. The book calls them "Green Onion Pies" or "Ts'ung Yu Ping".

Here's the recipe:
3 C wheat flour
1 C boiling water
1/3 C cold water
6 T lard or oil
3 T chopped green onion
3 t salt
1 C oil

1. Place flour in bowl. Add the boiling water and mix with chopsticks immediately. Let cool. After 3 minutes add cold water and knead the dough thoroughly until it is smooth. Cover and let rest a while.
2. Remove dough to floured board, divide dough into 6 even pieces (or more than 6). Knead and roll each piece of dough into 10" round as if making pie crust. Rub 1/2 T lard on dough and sprinkle the whole top with 1/2 t salt and 1/2 T chopped green onion. roll up as for jelly roll making sure the ends are tightly closed. Now form into a round snail shape tucking the final end into the center of the bun, then press down and roll out until 1/4" thick.
3. Heat 2 T oil in frying pan, place the pie in and fry about 2 minutes. Use low heat and cover the pan. Flip over and splash 1 T oil down from side. Continue frying until this side is golden and crispy, shake and jiggle the pan often while frying as this action makes a flaky pastry.
4. Cut into small pieces to serve.

NOTE: These may be kept in a barely warm oven until all are prepared.

The cookbook had a picture of these. It looks basically like a sort of fried pancake with green onions in it - sounds like what you were asking about. I had thought that my mother called them Dan Bing but the book had something else a little different that was called Dan Bing. Either I'm just a bit confused or more than one thing can be called Dan Bing.

This recipe came "Pei Mei's Chinese Cook Book Volume I" and is very authentic. The author studied under many top chefs from all over China and went on to establish the Chinese Cooking Institute in Taipei. My mother, who came to the States from Taiwan after marrying my father, has been cooking out of Pei Mei's cookbooks for as long as I can remember.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

PS And for the lard, I would either use the suggested oil or maybe even butter.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #18
Sous Chef

The rice sounds tasty. Can I use chicken instead of pork? ( I don't eat red meat)
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:13 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Nice recipe. I & my husband recently tried to cook Chinese dumplings (we used other recipe), but the filling went a bit dry. Probably it's because we cooked them into a steam pot. What, in your opinion, would help to keep the filling soft anyway?
Old 03-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #20
Master Chef

To keep filling soft you have to add a little bit of liquid. This is really old thread. I doubt an original poster is going to respond.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Tags
None