Chorizo dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I disagree. I make my own Mexican chorizo with ground turkey instead of pork .

Oh WOW - that sounds wonderful! I will try it absolutely for sure!!!

even thou I do know that the fats from meat can and do add flavour - I will retract my previous statement as I realize it doesn't mean you can't get flavour from other sources!!!! :D

I disagree. I make my own Mexican chorizo with ground turkey instead of pork and the only thing I am missing is the big puddle of grease with a few chunks of meat floating in it that I used to get from cooking commercially available chorizo, which is why I started making my own in the first place. I am sure a soy based ground meat substitute will work just fine in the following recipe:

[FONT=Arial Black, sans-serif]Mexican Chorizo[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 pounds ground pork with some fat on it.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 cloves mashed garlic[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]6 Tbs chili powder[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs oregano[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs olive oil [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs water[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs vinegar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1½ tsp sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp paprika[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp ground cumin[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp salt [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ tsp fresh ground black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Instructions:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, divide into quarters, roll each quarter into a log, and tightly wrap each log with plastic wrap, twisting the ends to secure. [/FONT]

You can add ½ cup of finely chopped onions to the mix, but I don't because onions and I have a mutual non-aggression pact. I don't eat them, and they don't make me sleep sitting up.

Fify........;)

One of our favorite things to do with fresh chorizo is to brown it in a skillet that can go in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Once the chorizo is browned, we cover it with grated muenster or queso fresco, then stick it in the oven to let the cheese melt and start to brown. When its out and ready to eat, we warm up some tortillas and tear pieces off to "pinch" the chorizo and cheese from the pan. Its a great appetizer to a Mexican meal.

Back
Top Bottom