"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
Can clarified butter be used as shortening to make melted chocolate smoother and easier to spread? I have a tight budget so buying a block of Copha/Lard when I only need a bit for one cake doesn't really seem worth all that money.

So can it be used as shortening for chocolate without causing the chocolate to seize or not set?

Also I think I saw a post/s saying that brown clarified butter tastes like (hazel?)nuts and was wondering how to tell when the brown clarified butter won't taste too strongly of nuts.

I'm going to make a orange cake drizzled with white chocolate for a special birthday and if I can get the white chocolate to have a slightly nutty taste, that'd be a bonus.
Welcome to DC Kirsten. This is a fun place to be and full of very useful information as you can see on this subject.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

What would you use if you didn't have a ladel?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
What would you use if you didn't have a ladel?
What are you needing a ladle for? You could pour the product into a container that has a lip meant for pouring.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

So a gravy jug (~100ml) will do fine? I've watched a few videos and they all used ladels so I thought that it was the best option.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
So a gravy jug (~100ml) will do fine? I've watched a few videos and they all used ladels so I thought that it was the best option.
Sounds perfect as a substitute. Even a large milk pitcher with a pouring lip on it will do just fine.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

Do you know if clarified butter will make melted chocolate seize or prevent it from setting? Since I can't have the chocolate inside the cake I want to drizzle it on top and I wish to get a bit artistic with it, swirls, lines and the like.

Tags
butter