"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-15-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Coconut Curry Chicken

I just made Coconut Curry Chicken from a recipe on the back of the coconut milk can. It was really tasty... but not spicy like the curry chicken I get at the Thai restaurant down the street. Most of the recipes I found online call for green curry paste. Is that spicy? The powdered curry is tasty... but definitely not spicy. (I made this on a whim after seeing a can of coconut milk at the store... so I didn't find the recipes online until just now)

Do you make a nice spicy Green Curry Chicken? Have a recipe you wouldn't mind sharing?

spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:59 PM   #2
Head Chef

Hi Spryte, I make green curry chicken and yes it's spicy and yummy. It may not be verbatim Thai recipe (has my own spin on it) but it tastes awfully close:

Blend the following:

1 small yellow onion
1 bunch of fresh cilantro/corrainder stalks washed and drained (save the leaves for garnish or other dishes)
3-4 thai green chillis ( I have substituted serranos and finger longs without compromising the flavor, you can add more or less as desired)
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 inch of ginger
2 tbsp of soy sauce
2 tbsp of fish sauce (Nam Prik)
You normally add shrimp paste (about a tsp but I skip this )
Some roasted whole cumin and corrainder seeds (about 2 tsp each)
zest of a lime
juice of the same lime
salt to taste
1 tsp of sugar

(Note: Normally lemon grass is used but here in IL it is hard to find it and I love to find substitutes that work and lime is a good one)

Blend this into a paste and reserve
I use boneless skinless chicken and cut it into strips. I also use red bell peppers cut into strips along with a sweet onion cut into strips
1 can of coconut milk

In a deep saute pan add 1 tbsp of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the blended paste and saute it for 10 - 15 minutes or until the rawness of the ingredients is removed. Next add the chicken and coconut milk and continue to cook until the chicken is completely cooked and the gravy thickens. Lastly stir in the bellpeppers and onions and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve over rice.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
Master Chef

Prepared Thai curries are almost always found in paste, rather than powdered form.

You can find this in most asian markets.
http://www.templeofthai.com/food/curry_paste/

It comes in little cans (tuna size) and larger plastic tubs.

Probably 10 difft varieties, including green.

You add it to taste to coconut milk, fish sauce, etc. There are recipes on the can or use an online one.

OR you can make it homemade, like Yakuta
Old 05-16-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Are the curries in paste form... or some of them hot? Or does the heat come from adding peppers?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:53 PM   #5

Both red and green are hot. You usually don't need more than a tablespoon.

This is the brand I buy ... http://p2.hostingprod.com/@thaikitch...cespastes.html
Old 05-17-2005, 05:55 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Very cool! Thanks
Old 05-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #7
Master Chef

green curry paste is delicious. it's spicy but it's a very pleasant spiciness. i'm in love with the stuff.

Tags
None