"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #11
Master Chef
Both sweet and savory recipes that call for coconut milk use the same thing: coconut milk.

Coconut milk won't be smooth and creamy. It separates in the can. You will have watery liquid and semisolid fat. You can shake the can (and you should), but you will not be able to emulsify it into a creamy liquid. That's ok though.

Recipes that call for coconut cream are referring to something like the product "Coco Lopez" which is a creamy sweetened product, sort of like condensed milk.

Don't use Coco Lopez in savory Thai dishes.

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
Senior Cook
I have always used Aroy-D brand coconut milk and have tried many other brands, but I like Aroy-D the most. You can usually find this brand at asian supermarkets.

Let's Pour Tea!
Calya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:59 AM   #13
Master Chef
By the way, coconut milk freezes well. As others have mentioned, shake it well. Use as much as you need, then freeze the rest.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:24 AM   #14
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I have to respectfully disagree with those who say all the brands are good. I've got two favorite brands and have tried several that are pretty poor, and a few that are in between. I actually got to taste several brands side by side which really illustrated the differences.

The brands I've liked are Mae Ploy and Chaokoh. The worst I've tried are brands that come in cans that look very similar to Chaokoh's can. One of them even had a similar name: Chaodoc. I don't remember the name of the other lookalike. Dragonfly also made a very good one, but I think they had a couple different cans and one was good the other not so good, So I'd stay away from theirs unless you feel like experimenting. Even among the better brands, the quality can vary. You want to get the creamiest stuff, the way to tell is to shake the cans lightly. You'll feel less liquid moving in the creamier cans.

Avoid "light" or "lite" coconut milk. It's a ripoff - the same stuff with more water. You can add water yourself if you want it.

I haven't tried the powdered varieties yet, have been meaning to.

Russellkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #15
Senior Cook
Try the brand Chaokoh(sp?) The can is light brown on

the top with white letters. I use it all the time. Also used by the restaurants in my area. Also thick coconut milk or coconut cream refers to the solid fats that float to the top of milk when freshly made. Don't confuse coconut cream with the sweetened cream of coconut in the can.
Lizannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #16
Sous Chef
I use Imperial Dragon coconut milk. I use it in stir fry with lemon grass and in soups. It also makes great shakes! I also use it to fatten up my malnourished child since he can't have regular milk right now. (Mix it with a little almond milk--it's not bad. It probably makes a good shake as well).

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #17
Senior Cook
Not all Thai food uses coconut. Here is one that doesn't...King Prawns Pancetta Fried Rice here.

Tucker's Mum aka Cooper's Mom

--Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Cooper'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote