"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 06-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Cook

Coconut milk

I am interested in trying Thai food. I don't care for shredded coconut. I've never really had coconut milk; owever, I'm willing to try it. Can anybody recommend a good, all-purpose variety of coconut milk? If so, please provide the name of the brand. When using coconut milk in Thai cooking, should it be sweetened or unsweetened, or is this just a matter of personal preference? I would like the coconut milk to have a smooth and creamy consistency, and be fit to use in both savory dishes and sweet dishes. I don't want any artificial substitutes, just pure coconut milk.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

the brand that I have been able to find in the grocery is Thai Kitchen, it has been consistent. been using it for about 10 years. You do not want to use a sweetened milk in any Thai dishes.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
Head Chef

Ive never had a problem with any brand coconut milk ive used in the past. I usually get them in a can, about 14oz I guess. Usually pay about $1.00 - $1.50.

Make sure it is coconut milk, not coconut water. Make sure it is UNSWEETENED, and shake it before u open it, because it has a tendency to separate a little. Although, if u are using he whole can, u can just dump everything in and it will blend together as it heats up.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Cook

Okay, well thank you for the advice with what type of coconut milk to use in savory dishes. Can you recommend a good brand that is ideal for use in sweet dishes? One that is lightly sweet?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Master Chef

I hate coconut, but the first time i went to Thai restaurant and had chicken coconut soup it was a love at the first site. There was a thread here about that soup you can probably search and find it. I used it to make the soup at home it was awesome.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I believe for your sweet coconut dishes the addition of sugar would be included. Do you have a recipe in mind? That would help.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Head Chef

My friend from Burma, makes a burmese dish/ soup with chicken broth, coconut milk, served over rice noodles, topped with lime juice, coriander, fried garlic and hot pepper flakes. Very simple, but very good. ( there is also chicken and quail eggs in the soup)
Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
Head Chef

Sweet coconut cream brand that I use is called Coco Lopez. I use it to make pinacoladas.

You can always use the unsweetened version and add sugar to it. As others stated it would be good to know what you are looking to make with it.

As Larry indicated all brands of coconut milk are good so no need to spend money on any expensive brands. Coconut milk also comes in low fat variety (if you are watching calories). Another thing I love to keep in my pantry is Maggie's dry coconut powder. It is sold in quite a few Asian stores. It has individual pouches. You open one pouch and mix it with water and viola you have instant coconut milk.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:15 AM   #9
Master Chef

I usually buy Thai Kitchen simply because that is what I can get on a regular basis. What you have to be careful of is buying the stuff that is meant for making pina coladas and deserts. I believe it is called cream of coconut or some such, and really won't work in main dishes. Oh, dear, Yakuta's post came up while I was writing. Coco Lopez for sweet dishes, but I wouldn't use it to make a curry or soup. I do buy the "lite" version of coconut milk when I can find it ... it is one of those things that hubby and I cannot really taste much difference in flavor, so may as well cut some fat.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Another practical option would be using powdered coconut milk mix, to which you add some water and it will turn into coconut milk. The convenient thing is you can use as much or as little as needed and the rest can be conserved well, while I had problems with the tinned ones often, when I didn't need the whole thing and I put the rest in the fridge and it ended up going bad.

My powder is manufactured by Maggi, it tastes authentic enough.

Ingredients:
Cononut Milk solids
maltodextrin
lactose
sodium phosphate

Tags
None