Cold Beetroot Soup (recipe and question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Izghoga

Assistant Cook
It is clear to you (the text of this recipe)?
Whether all is clear?
Whether it seems to you that is written crookedly?
I test the translator so to say...

Cold Beetroot Soup (холодник, халаднiк, šaltibarščiai, chłodnik litewski)

Serves 4

A bunch of young beetroot with leaves;
1-2 cucumbers,
1tbsp of Beetroot Kvass (Fermented beetroot juice);
0.5l Clabber or Crème Fraiche;
Spring Onion,
Fresh Dill,
Boiled Eggs,
Salt

Wash, peel and grate the beetroot. Pour one litre of cold water over the beetroot and bring it to the boil. Add the chopped beetroot leaves and boil it up once again, simmer for a couple of minutes. Strain the beetroot reserving 0.5 cup of the liquid and cool the beetroot leaves. Grate the cucumber, finely chop the spring onion and dill and add it to the boiled beetroot. Salt the mixture and add the clabber or crème fraiche, kvass and leaves. Add finely chopped dill, season with salt (and a little sugar if required), mix thoroughly and leave to stand for 1-2 hours in a cold place. Serve cold with boiled egg and new potatoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beetroot Soup - Thanks for posting

Thanks so much for posting this recipe. It is a very common vegetable in Basel, Switzerland and the Alpine region of Switzerland too, where my mom was born.

Margi Cintrano.

@ Historic Foodie: White or Red Wine Vinegar ?

@ H.F.

This beetroot sounds lovely ... Has a Swiss Alpine migration too ...

Vinegar is fermented wine --- also, it is similar to a Russian Borscht ... and Borscht has vinegar and beef stock in it ( Course I took at Le Cordon Bleu ).

Could go nice with a pesto dolloped on top too ... Pinenuts, a touch of Mediterranean ... Or a Vanilla Curry Pesto ?

Margi.

"Borscht" it is possible to cook on a different ways. It is a lot of recipes of its preparation.
As to a beetroot. There is such simple snack. A boiled beetroot rub on a large grater, fill with garlic, mayonnaise and walnuts (small cut).
It is served cooled, with a potato and a salty herring.
Casual variant of vinaigrette (Or not).

I saw very similar reсipe here
I like beet root very much, maybe you know some other reсipes whith it?

If you take a look in the Ethnic Section, I had posted a beetroot stuffed with feta & mint herb ( or ricotta, or cottage cheese ) baked in oven ...

It is lovely for a starter or for a light laboral lunch ...

Good beetroot gazpacho. Nice post. Thanks.
Margi.

@ H.F.

... Russian Borscht ... and Borscht has vinegar ...
Margi.

;) Sorry, but that's an oxymoron, Borscht is an Ukrainian soup, everything else is a poor imitation.

And as a private side note, vinegar is a big no-no.

I have a recipe of borscht here on the forum, if you are interested search for Charlie's thread. Or you can let me know and I'll find it for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom