"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-19-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Cooking Chinese at home - why is it so often a pale imitation?

Hi,

I just love Chinese cuisine, or should I say the versions of it I've had in a dozen countries other than China...

There is a wonderful Aisian supermarket near where I live, with just about every ingredient you'd ever need .

And yet, rarely do I make a dish at home that tastes the way it does even in a cheap hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant.

Background information:
- I do have a couple of books, including Ken Horn's
- I have a wok that is well-seasoned and maintained
- I have been attempting to make Chinese food for years and understand the basic principles.

BUT my stir fries (because this is what I am mostly referring to) rarely taste quite, well, Chinese....

Obviously, I could improve my technique, but I'm wondering about 2 things specifically:
- Is the weak flame of my standard household range the culprit? Might I not be about to do wonderful things with a very hot flame?
- I never use MSG. Could this be part of the reason?

Thanks for your input,

Best regards,
Alex R.

Old 02-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Heat could be a problem as AllenMI mentioned in his thread regarding fried rice. If you have an electric range, he suggests using a cast iron skillet. If you have a gas range, then the wok will he to the proper temperature (high heat for stir fries). I suspect msg is part of the reason too, though I never use it either, but most restaurants do ( I think it's a flavor enhancer).

Old 02-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

You hit the nail on the head. Wok cooking required very high heat. Much higher than the typical home range gets. One thing you can do is gt a turkey frying rig. Those burners can put out some serious heat. You of course would need to do this outside.

MSG could be part of the problem, but probably not. A lot of Chinese restaurants no longer use MSG. MSG is perfectly safe to use though. Only a VERY small amount of people are alergic to it. If you have never tried cooking with it then give it a shot. It really does add a lot to certain things.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC, AlexR.

Pretty much, the same results here. I cooked with a wok years ago. The food was tasty and healthy, but not quite authentic. Perhaps you could show us a recipe, and someone can offer suggestions. There are some excellent cooks here. Mine came with the ring GB mentioned, but later down the line, I found a wok-shaped heavy pan with a handle with a large cooking surface I liked much better. I had a very old (but easy) cookbook by Kikkoman (sp) , that may have been my reason. I still like the recipes though.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
MSG is perfectly safe to use though. Only a VERY small amount of people are alergic to it.
Although this was also the reason (the dreaded 'Chinese restaurant syndrome') there was also the announcement that MSG was thought to be a carcinogen that sent people running.

However I believe that there is no solid evidence regarding this claim as MSG as a number of food/nutrition bodies give it a non-specified recommended daily intake (which is a good thing if you are a food). There have also been some evidence that replacing salt with MSG could be a healthier alternative.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
Although this was also the reason (the dreaded 'Chinese restaurant syndrome') there was also the announcement that MSG was thought to be a carcinogen that sent people running.

However I believe that there is no solid evidence regarding this claim as MSG as a number of food/nutrition bodies give it a non-specified recommended daily intake (which is a good thing if you are a food). There have also been some evidence that replacing salt with MSG could be a healthier alternative.
I don't know, Haggis - but I sure like the BUZZ
Old 02-19-2006, 05:01 PM   #7
Executive Chef

heat for searing and browning...flavor there
msg for seasoning...flavor there one could use sea salt instead gently
use of chili flakes
use of flavored oils (toasted sesame, chili, etc)
HEAT
Old 02-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Be careful when using toasted sesame oil, a little goes a long way. I believe its flavour compounds don't stand up to high heat so it might be wise to treat like a nice extra-virgin olive oil when adding it to dishes.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexR
Hi,

I just love Chinese cuisine, or should I say the versions of it I've had in a dozen countries other than China...

There is a wonderful Aisian supermarket near where I live, with just about every ingredient you'd ever need .

And yet, rarely do I make a dish at home that tastes the way it does even in a cheap hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant.

Background information:
- I do have a couple of books, including Ken Horn's
- I have a wok that is well-seasoned and maintained
- I have been attempting to make Chinese food for years and understand the basic principles.

BUT my stir fries (because this is what I am mostly referring to) rarely taste quite, well, Chinese....

Obviously, I could improve my technique, but I'm wondering about 2 things specifically:
- Is the weak flame of my standard household range the culprit? Might I not be about to do wonderful things with a very hot flame?
- I never use MSG. Could this be part of the reason?

Thanks for your input,

Best regards,
Alex R.
Alex, you need to post a recipe with your sauce that you use. Heat can be part of it, but if your sauce is wrong it won't matter how hot you can get your wok.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I have to agree with many of the people here.

First, post your recipe, so that we can see the technique and ingredients.

Heat, or the lack of, is usually the culprit.

One other thing that comes to mind, but really falls under the "recipe" part, is the use of Fish sauce (Nam Plah). This is a really smelly liquid, but a little bit in the stir-fry does give the dish a nice flavor.

When I use toasted sesame oil, I add it at the last second, give the pan a quick stir or toss, and plate the dish. It has a nice flavor, but is not something I'd use for the basic cooking oil.

Tags
None