Cooking with Sesame Oil Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I literally add it drop by drop at a time . After using it for years, I have a pretty good idea of what i like vs what I feel to be too much. When I see recipes say add 1tbs I seriously question the recipe.

Thanks for the tips on toasted sesame oil, I will head for our Asian superstore and take a look!

Kayelle,

Thanks for the link to the "Crack Slaw"!

This recipe sounds perfect for me. I can use part of a bag of shredded cabbage to make a small version of it, have some for a bowl of cabbage salad and still have a handful to toss into the soup pot!

Like others have said, I'd use it sparingly. I know that anytime one of the chefs uses it on Chopped!, the judges start worrying. They usually see it as a signal that maybe the contestant is using it cover some flaw.

But sometimes they get pleasantly surprised too, so you never know.

Like others have said, I'd use it sparingly. I know that anytime one of the chefs uses it on Chopped!, the judges start worrying. They usually see it as a signal that maybe the contestant is using it cover some flaw.

But sometimes they get pleasantly surprised too, so you never know.

Are you sure you're not thinking of truffle oil? ;)

Thanks for the tips on toasted sesame oil, I will head for our Asian superstore and take a look!

Kayelle,

Thanks for the link to the "Crack Slaw"!

This recipe sounds perfect for me. I can use part of a bag of shredded cabbage to make a small version of it, have some for a bowl of cabbage salad and still have a handful to toss into the soup pot!

Next time I'm going to try it with shredded chicken.

I somethings add a bit of it ti hummus. I usually add toasted sesame seeds, so the sesame oil, tahini, and toasted seeds adda bit more depth.

I'll disagree.

My partner is Korean-American and her family is from Korea.

Both she and her family use "toasted" sesame oil to stir fry and sautée with.

They also use it in marinades and things.

But they use sesame oil like I use olive oil.

I use toasted sesame oil and chili sesame oil to add to a marinade and in addition to peanut oil when stir frying. I never ONLY use sesame oil to fry.

I like to add a few drops to my homemade wonton soup after plating. Added to eggroll and wonton filling also and in some dressings.
A small amount goes a long way to kick up the flavor.

Do any of you know a basic brand of sesame oil to use as a finishing oil.

I have been gawking at various types, toasted, unrefined, dark, chili infused, etc.. I get so confused I end up not buying any of them!

I just want it to make a fakeout-takeout, or would it be a takeout-fakeout, Chinese meal from time to time.

Thanks B

I like TJ toasted sesame oil.

Also House Of Tsang and Ka-Me brands.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom