Copycat Inquiry - Sauce - Koi Restaurant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoraC

Senior Cook
My grandsons adore the spicy fried rice at the Koi Hibachi Restaurant chain. but for the life of me I cannot get the sauce that the restaurant adds right. I am pretty sure from the look and the taste that it is one of the bean sauces, but there are a bunch o' oriental bean sauces. I keep guessing wrong. Does anybody know this dish and have a hint about the magic ingredient? The basic fried rice is easy, but the sauce eludes me. Thanks!

Can you describe the sauce? Is it creamy? nutty? sweet? citrusy? oily? Spicy? what color?, thin like soy sauce or thick like sweet and sour?

-Damien

Can you describe the sauce? Is it creamy? nutty? sweet? citrusy? oily? Spicy? what color?, thin like soy sauce or thick like sweet and sour?

-Damien
The sauce is an ingredient in a dish, so I have not been able to get a taste of it separately. That said, it is a medium brown, appears to be about the consistency of ketchup (it is squeezed from a bottle onto fried rice, so the consistency could be off a little), and adds a nice rounded heat and slightly red/brown color to the rice when added at a rate of about - eyeballing - a teaspoon per half cup of rice.

The grandboys asked me to try so I tell them how to make it. Initially, I was sure that it was one of the eleventy dozen oriental bean sauces, but I am not arriving at enough spice without adding way too much of the sauce. Mixing the obvious suspects (like rooster sauce, chilies in oil etc) into a couple of brown bean pastes doesn't give the right heat. Szechuan peppercorns are not involved.

Koi is not a "fine dining" experience; it is good solid hibachi cooking, so the answer is not going to be too exotic, but it is eluding me.

All help appreciated!

Is there any chance that it may not be a bean sauce at all but maybe something like a Tonkatsu sauce blended with Sriracha or maybe a different kind of sauce?

-Damien

Damien, I hadn't thought about tonkatsu; you may be right. The heat isn't from sriracha - it is a more rounded, mellow heat, but I will try working from a tonkatsu base. Good idea! Thanks.

Aside from the heat, how does it compare to traditional Chinese fried rice? Sweeter? More tart?

Andy,sweeter, but hot. I am sure the sauce isn't exotic, just not one I can spot.

Damien, it isn't yakisoba, which I know well, but I am not familiar with okonomiyaki; I will pick some up if tonkatsu doean't do the trick. The more I think about it, the morelike the tonkatsu seems likely. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom