"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-25-2007, 08:15 AM   #21
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I buy mine !!

Old 08-25-2007, 08:42 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
depends what mood I`m in, but 9 times outa 10 I buy them.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:44 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Corazon,I have made sopaipillas a few times sometimes they are perfect and sometimes they are not.One trick I learned somewhere is to stretch the pieces a little before you drop them in the oil its supposed to make them puff up better. By the way the green chilis are roasting all over New Mexico as we speak.Im not gonna screw up this year and wait too long to get a bunch before they are all gone.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #24
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I live is a predominantly Latino neighborhood. I can buy fresh, still warm tortillas, made by professionals, within walking distance of my condo, for less than a nickle apiece. Why should I go to all that trouble for a half dozen when they make thousands every day?

As for corn vs flour, although corn tortillas are traditional and were being used in native cuisine long before the Spaniards ever brought wheat to North America, I prefer flour tortillas in everything except maybe tacos.

JP, you have to remember that Mexican cuisine changes drastically as you move from east to west and from south to north. The Mexican food in Colorado is different than that in Las Cruces, and by the time you get to California, the green sauce is milder than the red sauce and there are no sopapillas. In New Orleans, they dust sopapillas with powdered sugar and call them beignets!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:52 AM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

It's food, for crying out loud! Do what you like best. I, for one, promise not the call the tortilla police.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:53 AM   #26
Executive Chef

You are right! The Mexican Food in NM is also different in different parts of the state.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's food, for crying out loud! Do what you like best. I, for one, promise not the call the tortilla police.
Thats just what I would expect a Yankee to say.Taco Bell has people all messed up on what real Mexican food really is.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:17 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Unless you have been personally charged with the single handed preservation of the Mexican culinary tradition, It's really not an issue.

BTW, I don't want to tell you what happened to the last person who used the word Yankee when referring to me. I'm from Boston, after all.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:58 AM   #29
Cook

isn`t those soapapillas arn`t they like indian fry bread. I know my mother use to make those when I was a little kid. with my dad, little brother, and little sister, my mother could`nt make them fast enough. thats when my dad taught me to eat sorgum molasses
and homemade butter. that will take you back for a while.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:33 AM   #30
Master Chef

I have to make my own over here---- why didn't Genghis Khan ever conquer a people who made them???? He conquered just about everyone else. :) Anyway in Houston you can also get them while still hot off the shelf and our nieghborhood Kroger makes them while you wait. As for the corn vs. flour tortilla enchilada debate just call them something else and they won't taste funny. :)

Tags
None