Cotija Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, so I bought some of this tonight thinking it was "Mexican Melting Cheese" but it doesn't melt. So what is this and should I just take it back? Is there a use for it?? I wanted melting cheese but Lowes Foods didn't have it.

Last edited:
I love that cheese!! Think of it like a Mexican feta cheese! Its great on salads, tacos, as any topper!

I have been wanting to buy/try this cheese. I'm glad to see this post and Dee's response. I bet it is great on tacos!!!!

Okay, so I bought some of this tonight thinking it was "Mexican Melting Cheese" but it doesn't melt. So what is this and should I just take it back? Is there a use for it?? I wanted melting cheese but Lowe's didn't have it.
Your Lowe's must be different than here in Pa. The one here is a home improvement center.

I have been wanting to buy/try this cheese. I'm glad to see this post and Dee's response. I bet it is great on tacos!!!!
I didn't get a "feta feel" to the cheese at all. It was more like grainy Parmesan than crubbly feta. I love feta, the taste and the texture. This is more like green can Parmesan.

I liken Cotija to Parmesan as well - just my opinion - and it can be sprinkled on anything where a touch of cheese will enhance the flavor. As well as deelady's suggestions it's good on soup, refried beans, roasted corn or wherever your own taste buds take you.

When I think of melting cheese I think of Queso Blanco which is similar to Monterrey Jack. There are probably others but I'm not familiar with them.

I guess I am more use to the fresh type than the aged kind...

"White, salty, and somewhat granular, Cotija cheese softens but does not actually melt when heated. When fresh, Cotija cheese bears a resemblance in flavor and texture to feta cheese. Aged, Cotija grates smoothly and has more in common with Parmigiano-Reggiano. This similarity in form and function has earned it the nickname “Mexican Parmesan.”

Thanks deelady for clearing that up. Again, I'm not very familiar with Mexican cheeses. As a matter of course, I buy Monterrey Jack when I want that melted cheese flavor in Tex-Mex or Mexican food.

I always mean to buy it more often, I love the saltiness to it! And you hit it dead on wih the roasted corn suggestion or any corn....I forgot to mention that, that is my favorite!!!:-p

When I think of melting cheese I think of Queso Blanco which is similar to Monterrey Jack. There are probably others but I'm not familiar with them.
Me too but they didn't have that. The Cotija cheese is all they had.

I like the corn idea. The refried beans, not so much. It made the beans taste gritty. Should have gone for the Monterrey Jack.

Oh yeah, THAT'S what I used it on..
Roasted corn, with a hint of lime and chili powder.

The rest I just used it on everything like cheese topping. Sandwiches, steak,
chicken, fish, veggies.

Beans! Beans! Beans! It is so yummy crumbled on beans, refried or not. It is used here as a tasty garnish for many things...soups, tacos, enchiladas, and always beans. In fact, it is usually the only cheese used on enchiladas - they do not come with lots of melty cheese here.

Beans! Beans! Beans! It is so yummy crumbled on beans, refried or not. It is used here as a tasty garnish for many things...soups, tacos, enchiladas, and always beans. In fact, it is usually the only cheese used on enchiladas - they do not come with lots of melty cheese here.
I wish mine crumbled. Mine just makes for gritty beans.

How are you using the Cotija? Are you crumbling it on top of the beans after they are plated or bowled? Or are you adding it to the beans during cooking?

I didn't get a "feta feel" to the cheese at all. It was more like grainy Parmesan than crubbly feta. I love feta, the taste and the texture. This is more like green can Parmesan.

I saw this stuff over the weekend, in the package it does resemble more of a coarse parmesan than anything. So nachos or tacos or actually just about anything you could sprinkle it over would probably work. I may get some next time I am there.

How are you using the Cotija? Are you crumbling it on top of the beans after they are plated or bowled? Or are you adding it to the beans during cooking?

I use mine after being plated or bowled, never while cooking. Of course others may do it differently.

Back
Top Bottom