"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 12-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Cudighi

I have to agree with the guy who said that Ralphs has the best sandwich. I like Lawry's too, but not quite as good. I also like that you can by Ralphs stuff raw and cook it when you want to at home.

My favorite pizza of all time has to be the Congress - I think they even use cudighi for their sausage!

I don't get back to Ishpeming as much as i would like, so i need to find a way to make this pizza at home. (i already have a couple cudighi recipes i can get buy with but would give my left nut for the congress pizza recipe).

Can anyone help a fellow yooper (former) out???

Old 12-30-2008, 11:46 PM   #12
Cook

Lawry's is not the best at anything in my opinion, but they are a very good 2nd place in every way. Even sells UP goods, like the awesome jam (name eludes me at the moment, I've been out for a few months :'()

The Congress... Haven't been there in a long time I don't think. But I would gladly second the giving of a nut for that recipe. Good luck on that one, my mother has been trying for years with no luck at getting very close. Not saying it isn't good pizza, but you would know if you have been there.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Well I see this is kinda old but it erks me when people try to mimic up lingo and cant get it wright doncha know holy wah eh any who I think cudighi is really good and nothing like thad der Itailan suauge youes are talkin about. If cha yas are in da up mainly in da Ishpeming area yas need ta go to da wayside and get yer self da cudighi and a beer fer $6.00 it be da best hands down!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

I have absolutely no idea what you are saying here Chad. This is one of the most bizarre first posts I have ever seen. Can you explain what it means?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
Master Chef

I now know cudaghi. There are two stores in the Sault Ste. Marie area that sell it fresh and uncooked. One has an original recipe from the Ishpeming area, while the other has a recipe from who knows where, but that tastes phenomenal. Best use of cudaghi for me is to mix it with good ground beef to make meatballs or meat loaf. Add just a bit more basil and oregano, some chopped onion, and a great tomato based sause (gravy) and y00u have something to sing about. The stuff is some of the best tasting sausage I know of. In fact, a local chapter of the Knights of Columbus has asked me to make my cudaghi/ground beef recipe for their fall dinner. I've replaced the guy that made them standing rib roast every year. They like the cabbage rolls stuffed with my mixture it seems. I'll be doing that tomorrow night.

Get yourself some cudaghi sausage and make a great sandwich, or mix it with other meat to create your own masterpiece.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #16
Head Chef

GB, Since you were wondering , Chad 77 was speaking yooper. It's a little known sect of the Michigander tribe found primarily in the northern realms.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks Joe! That makes sense now
Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #18
Senior Cook

My speciality is pasties. I experimented with a Paul Prudhomme recipe years ago. His Welsh miner pastie recipe. I have never had any better, even in the up. I make them for my son who is in the service and he shares them with his boatmates. They are something new to them, since they are from all areas of the country. But, they are in high demand. It is a three day job. Spices one day. Dough the next. Cook the meat and veggies. And, put together. A labor of love for sure. My son likes to dip them in brown gravy.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Chad77- I love your post. And, I understand your words completely. Has anyone seen the Jeff Daniels movie. I think it is called By the Moonlight or something like that about guys up in the UP in a cabin. You have to know the language to understand the movie.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
My speciality is pasties. I experimented with a Paul Prudhomme recipe years ago. His Welsh miner pastie recipe. I have never had any better, even in the up. I make them for my son who is in the service and he shares them with his boatmates. They are something new to them, since they are from all areas of the country. But, they are in high demand. It is a three day job. Spices one day. Dough the next. Cook the meat and veggies. And, put together. A labor of love for sure. My son likes to dip them in brown gravy.
I for one would dearly love your recipe/instructions. Because I'm retired I have the time, and I love the idea of a meat pie. There is already a thread here: Tourtiere where you could post it.

Pretty please?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None