"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 12-01-2004, 02:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Curdling yogurt in curries

Can someone tell me how to prevent yogurt from curdling when I add it to a curry?

Generally, I fry the spices or the curry paste, and add the meat, vegetables, etc, and fry them. Then I add yogurt to thicken the sauce.

But no matter how I do it, I haven't been able to stop the yogurt from curdling!

Any suggestions?

Old 12-01-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I have done this with minimal curdling, hopefully YAKUTA will correspond. I take it off the heat source and mix it in when its finished.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:57 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I put yogurt in after the spice mix before the meat...I also recently added some cornstarch to the yogurt prior to adding it...it is suppose to keep it from thinning out...never had a curdling prob...I think Deb may have something there w/taking it off the heat...your mixture may be too hot when adding the yogurt.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:07 PM   #4
Head Chef

To prevent yogurt from curdling or for that matter sourcream for curdling (which btw is also a great substitute for yogurt in curries) you follow the tempering method that you do when you make egg based custards or creams.

Here are steps I use and they work full proof for me.

Saute onions then add the garlic, ginger and spices and aromatics. Next the tomato (either fresh or canned). Then some water and chicken or lamb if you are making a meat based curry. Now let the entire thing cook until the meat is tender and done. Next take your yogurt out in a bowl and beat it slightly. Now add a spoonful of the hot gravy to the yogurt. Mix it all together (this brings the yogurt up to temperature). Now slowly pour it into the curry stirring it constantly. Let the whole thing simmer covered on the lowest setting for 10-15 minutes and it should not curdle.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:12 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Use full fat yogurt (or, as suggested) sour cream.

I like it when curries break and the oil forms a puddle on the top. Many traditional recipes will tell you to simmer the sauce until the oil begins to separate.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:29 PM   #6
Senior Cook

It's a question of heat. Add the yogurt at the end of cooking and don't let it overheat.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:35 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Thanks Yakuta!!!
Old 12-02-2004, 02:46 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

I'll try them next time I make a curry and see what happens.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:15 PM   #9
Senior Cook

You can add a little cornflour and heat gently. This MAY stop it curdling. But regardless of what you have been told, artificially low fat yoghurt WILL curdle at a proper cooking temperature, because it does NOT have either the fat or the milk solids to emulsify it.

Use either proper home made yoghurt and a sufficient amount of ghee/cooking fat/butter, or a concentrated yoghurt.

See my recipe above. It also helps if you keep a suficiency of the natural animal fat in the dish you are cooking.

This is why you should mix or use only coconut milk when making egg or fish curries.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:08 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I should have added that the traditional way to thicken a Korma curry is to add ground
almonds and ground desicated coconut. When you have finished grinding your dry
and wet spices, add 2 teaspoons of ground almonds and one tablespoon of desicated
coconut to the korma mix. Grind again until it is all well amalgamated. Then use this
as your spice load.

Tags
None