"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Chausiubao
ah. curry leaves. I'll look into, tho i've never heard of that. Yea i did add the ginger adn garlic earlier then the recipe called for, and it wasn't too bad either. I'll give this another try.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:05 PM   #22
Sous Chef

With this particular recipe, I'd make some Chenna Dal - using whole garbanzo (chickpeas) instead of the Indian chenna. Soak your ( about 150 gms) dried chickpeas in water overnight then cook in plain water, no salt, with 2 bay leaves and a tsp of turmeric powder. Once cooked, drain and save a cup of the cooking liquid.
Fry 2 medium onions, sliced into half-moons, in plenty of ghee (or butter mixed with cooking oil).When barely soft, add 6 cloves of garlic ( YES! this works with plenty of garlic) and 1" of minced ginger. Stir around once or twice, then add 3 minced fresh green chillies. LESS if you don't like it hot - but this dish works very well slightly hot.
Now add 1/4 tsp asafoetida powder, 2 tsps cumin seeds, 6 green cardamom seeds and a tsp of fenugreek. Stir once or twice, then add the beans (again), the and just enough water to cover. Add 1 tsp salt.
Cook until the mixture boils then add 1/2 cup chopped tomato.
Cook until you have a a thickish sauce - then add 1 tsp Garam Masala, 1 TBSP chopped coriander leaf and the juice of half a lemon.
Mix together, check for salt, then eat!

Old 07-20-2006, 07:25 AM   #23
Master Chef

Cliveb - thanks for that recipe - it's right up my alley & except for the dry garbanzos, I (amazingly enough!!) have all the other ingredients in my pantry!

One question - since the green cardamom seeds are added to the dish whole, do you eat them, eat around them, or fish them out before serving?
Old 07-20-2006, 07:37 AM   #24
Sous Chef

I usually fish them out, although you can eat them if you want. Skins are a bit chewy...!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
I usually fish them out, although you can eat them if you want. Skins are a bit chewy...!
I fish them out to, They are there mainly as a flavor agent.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:42 AM   #26
Cook

you crush the cardomon pods with the flat of a blade, put them in the simmering sauce for 40 minutes or so, then fish them out.
Then squeeze the little circular bally things back in.
I usually eat the pod bit while cooking because their good roughage and taste good and Im starving
Old 08-18-2006, 07:23 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
I have to say that in all my years of travelling and eating curries all round the world, I've never eaten a curry with minced beef in it!
Larb is minced meats also.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:19 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

I only recently discovered the wonders of cardomon pods when steaming cod in a Thai curry sauce and was pleasently suprised. Nothing like I expected.

I have had a decent bit of experince cooking Thai currys mostly and have my own TNT Thai prawn curry which I am very proud of.

The only thing that bothers me with lot of curry recipes I see on TV and read in books in the excess of ingrediants. Quite often (especially in indian curries) I see 6 or so different spices and a spice mix which may contain at least two of the individual spices previously included. I don't understand this approach, surely just added more of the seperate spices and the extra ones seperate rather then adding a blend. This way you get a more precise control over what you want. Indicates to me when I see this that the author dosn't have a true understanding of perhapes what is even in the blend let alone the understanding of individual spices that takes years to master.

The rule I try and use when composing ingrediants for a curry is "why?" and not "Why not?". It is very tempting with curry to feel the need to add 30+ flavours which can just end up leading to a generic curry flavour which to me is half the fun of cooking curries out the window.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I suggest that you look for one of Madhur Jaffrey's superb Indian cookbooks. Check Amazon.com or eBay for good deals.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:18 AM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queequeg
...The only thing that bothers me with lot of curry recipes I see on TV and read in books in the excess of ingrediants. Quite often (especially in indian curries) I see 6 or so different spices and a spice mix which may contain at least two of the individual spices previously included. I don't understand this approach, surely just added more of the seperate spices and the extra ones seperate rather then adding a blend...
Indian food is often delicious with one, or maybe just two spices. However, there are recipes with many spices, added at different stages of the cooking in order to provide specific taste experiences. Some dishes, for example, may have whole spices added at the beginning in order to flavour the oil. Others may have spices added at the end ( Garam Masala is a good example) to give an aromatic perfume to the final dish. Or you may find the use of a tarka or bhagar - whole spices sizzled in ghee and added to the dish at the last moment. Tossing in loads of spices just for the sake of it does nothing; adding them little by little or in large numbers is an art which takes many years to develop.
Madhur Jaffrey wrote a splendid little book called " Madhur Jaffrey's Spice Kitchen" which has about 50 different recipes using spices.

Tags
None