"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 11:59 PM   #1
Head Chef

Curry and pasta?

Would it be too weird to serve, say, chicken tikka masala or malai kofta on pasta instead of on rice and/or with naan? I know that the ultimate answer to this question is “try it and see, coward!” I just would like to know before I try it is if there’s a reason not to try it. It’s certainly not something I’ve seen in Indian cookbooks (or Italian ones, for that matter), or on Indian restaurant menus (Italian restaurants: see above).

Indian food, although it’s gaining some respect here in the States, is still much more popular across the Pond. Is curry pasta something that seems odd or off to you over there? When you hear “baked curry ziti,” for instance, do you think “hmmmm interesting,” “that’s so last century,” “had some yesterday from the local takeaway,” or “the very idea makes me retch?”

Old 09-04-2018, 12:27 AM   #2
Head Chef

No... you can use chapati, poppadoms, Bombay potatoes , roti, doza , Appam and Pathiri with currys so why pasta?

Old 09-04-2018, 01:10 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
No... you can use chapati, poppadoms, Bombay potatoes , roti, doza , Appam and Pathiri with currys so why pasta?
Well, there’s a question I left out of my post!

I like pasta, and it’s easy for me to chew it, although I usually have to cook dried pasta a little past al dente. It’s also fast, easy, and readily available. And it’s a good magnet for fathers flavors of the sauce, especially if you finish cooking it in the sauce.

So that, for me, is “why pasta.”
Old 09-04-2018, 01:16 AM   #4
Head Chef

PS It just occurred to me that curry udon is very popular in Japan and
Korea. There’s an example of curry on pasta, although udon is quite different from Italian pasta, it’s still a noodle! And Japanese curry isn’t Indian curry; they’re only remotely related. But it’s still described as “curry.”
Old 09-04-2018, 01:56 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I make my own and buy takeaway sometimes, curry and rice, not pasta. I wouldn't even try it. Indian is addictive here, I dry roast my own seeds and grind to make my own Garam masala. My tandoori chicken is heaven.

Russ
Old 09-04-2018, 02:16 AM   #6
Head Chef

Well make Japanese curry with udon then.
Also there is minute rice, microwave rice and you can cook it to mush if it to hard to chew.
I make curries most Saturdays, but now I am having a wee break but then we are back to Thoran khozi and Korma , I do a really good black curry.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:21 AM   #7
Head Chef

Also the idea of because the same name, the are they same isnt true. Trust me, you cant exchange Danish pölsa for Swedish pölsa.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:34 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Also the idea of because the same name, the are they same isnt true. Trust me, you cant exchange Danish pölsa for Swedish pölsa.
The same, no. I already stipulated that. They’re “remotely” related. And there’s packaged, baked naan, as well as minute rice and instant rice. And I’ll certainly cast your vote in the “what’s the point?’ column. I’ve got to ask alternate question though. Why not? “Just because there are so many other things” has been stated; are there other reasons not to fuse the two? Too starchy, or intrusive, or, I don’t know, it loses the Indian quality?
Old 09-04-2018, 04:31 AM   #9
Head Chef

Well why fuse them?

Also curries are not one thing, there is many and yes there might be one that perfect with pasta but rice suck up liquid better then pasta and that is what is needed in a good curry dish. You need something to absorb the spices and sauce, not coat as pasta do.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:51 AM   #10
Master Chef

Funny, the first thing that comes to mind when curry is mentioned, is Thai curries. Yes, they serve curry with noodles. Of the Indian stuff I've tried so far, I'd rather have Thai.

Tags
curry, pasta