Cypriot-style garlic dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
This is similar to the dip which is popular in the Lebanon and Syria - although their versions use pine nuts, instead of almonds - and in Turkey they often use walnuts.

Although this is good as a dip, it is also served with fried fish or served on the side with vegetables.

2 oz whole blanched almonds, with the brown skins removed.
2 thick slices of white peasant style bread (not white steamed sliced stuff!) crusts removed.
2 cloves garlic, crushed with a little salt
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (or you could use lemon juice)
4-5 tablespoons EVOO
black olives to garnish

Soak the bread in cold water. Put the almonds in a food processor and chop finely.

Squeeze bread to drain excess water and add to ground almonds with the garlic, vinegar and almonds. Add enough oil to end up with a fairly sloppy consistency.

Serve in a bowl garnished with the olives and lots of veg crudites.

Hope you enjoy it. I use any artisan bread that I happen to have in the house when I make this. I buy a really nice french country bread which is ideal.

This is interesting, Ishbel. I can't think of a Greek equivalent other than 'skordalia' which has no nuts and is heavier in garlic and usually uses potato rather than bread ("and you saw the similarity where, dear?").

Skordalia accompanies deep-fried salt cod here. In Cyprus same?

Thanks, Ayrton.... that's what they call it in Cyprus, too! And yes, it's served as both a dip and with fish. Granted, it's nothing like the recipe you're suggesting, but hey.... the Cypriot Greeks always pretend that their foods are SOOOOO Greek, when really they are a marriage of Greek/Turkish/Lebanese in many cases :LOL:

That looks very yummy, Ishbel - thanks!
Curiously enough, it brings back memories of a little casual research I did on "Gazpacho" some while back. If I remember rightly, the origins of Gazapcho can be traced back to Roman times, when a similar concoction to your Garlic Dip was prepared. Hmmm, very interesting - time for a little more research.:cool:

That's interesting info Clive. Interestingly, the Romans were present in Cyprus too...

I lived there as a young girl, and have visited many times since. I have lots and lots of 'family' recipes from my friends there. I have to admit that Cypriot food is an amalgam of Turkish/Greek/Lebanese and Egyptian influences. I LOVE it!:)

Ishbel:
I finally got around to trying this recipe today. We made some deep-fried Kalamari, some stewed potatoes and artichoke hearts, and the Garlic Dip, which accompanied the squid.

Spectacular! So simple, but oh so tasty!
THANKS!!!:chef: :chef: :chef:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. When I make it, I am transported back to my favourite village in Cyprus, in the hills above Paphos... With freshly caught fish from Ayios Georghious harbour, just about 3 miles away....

Happy days!

Back
Top Bottom