"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-16-2005, 05:54 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Ah, The Treasures of the Austro-Hungarian Empire live on!

Hi, and thanks for posting this luscious treat. You can still enjoy this delectation at cafes in Vienna, Buda and Pest.

Ron

Old 08-17-2005, 01:09 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Czech chicken and sauerkraut

Thanks so much for this recipe, Ron. It made a sauerkraut eater out of me - at least in this dish. The combination of the kraut, apples, and potatoes was great with the bird. We used sourdough bread to lap up the juices. I also thinly sliced cucumbers and eyeballed a quantity of salt, pepper, sugar, and red wine vinegar for them to swim in a few hours before dinner - very good accompaniment.

Handy Husband had two helpings. Thanks again!

Old 08-17-2005, 01:28 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Glad you enjoyed the Chicken and Kraut

Hi, I am delighted that you enjoyed this dish as much as our company did. As you can see, it's quick, easy and delicious, and inexpensive and will surprise those who think of 'kraut only as a topping for hot dogs.

Ron
Old 08-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #24
Master Chef

Keep posting those recipes gang! I don't have anything to contribute, I'm a learner here, but I am cutting-n-pasting!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:33 PM   #25
Master Chef

The cuke salad, when in season, will have dill chopped into it!
Old 08-19-2005, 11:33 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

A Regional Favorite: Szegediner Gulyas

Hello, friends, this may be a Hungarian dish, but it has become popular throughout Central Europe.

2# stewing pork, cut into 1.25" cubes ( I used boneless loin)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp lard or butter [I used lard.]
3 onions, diced
2 tbsp sweet paprika [use only Hungarian!]
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup water
1 # fresh kraut or kraut from a jar [Use German/Polish!]
1 # potaotes, peeled, cut into 1.25" cubes or cut into 1/2 inch slices1 tbsp caraway seeds [more, if you love the flavor.]
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tbsp flour

Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Hear fat and in it fry pork cubes until browned on all sides, SLOWLY. Add diced onion and cook slowly unhtil soft and golden. Sprinkle with paprika and saute for 3-4 minutes.

Add garlic and water and cover, simmering slowly for 25 minutes.

If sauerkraut is sharply flavored [usually the case with American canned kraut], rinse once or twice and drain. Add it to the pork along with potatoes and caraway seeds.

Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until potatoes are done.

Blend flour into sour cream and pour over sauerkraut and pork, shaking pot from side to side so cream will "percolate" through. Cover and let it simmer about 10 minutes, or until the goulash is heated through. Season to taste and serve.

[This fork-blended sour cream and flour is a vey popular regional thickener, used all throughout Central Europe.]

This meal is also good with a cucumber salad, as a nice
contrast. I also steamed some additional potatoes so that people could mash them into leftover juices on their plates to absorb the goodness.

I have also served this over wide egg noodles, which are also very popular.

Enjoy! This is a major crowd pleaser! I made some without kraut at my wife's behest, along with some with kraut. Even those very few who had opted for no kraut, came back to have it with, and loved it! Kraut is marvelously versatile, as you will see from my posts.

Ron
Old 08-19-2005, 01:16 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Interesting, Ron. I was telling a co-worker this morning about the fabulous Czech chicken recipe I had just tried, describing the ingredients. She said she makes something almost identical using pork chops. The flour-cream slurry would be a bonus!

p.s. forgot to add that another lady overheard us and asked me to write the recipe out for her.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:11 AM   #28
Cook

paprika

Słodki is sweet maybe that is what you have and ostra is sharp. I like using half sweet with half hot/sharp if it is bitter.

Paprika is wonderful in many things including cabbage rolls like sarma and also in a pot of beans.

I use a lot of the Spanish smoked paprika and also the Hungarian paprikas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
goody, you guys can help me clear something up.

My sister has traveled a lot on NATO business for the Navy and brought me back some paprika from Poland - the labels say papryka ostra and papryka stodka. Which is the sweet and which is the hot, and what dishes do I make using each?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:01 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

I became a kraut eater this year as well after trying it baked over ribs. You bake the ribs for an hour covered with water, I think, then put the kraut on top for 1/2 hour. It is similar to the chicken dish. Then I tried kraut salad, and kraut warmed over frying brats, and I would love to know how to make kraut dogs, as I am Australian and don't know how to.

My friend who told me about the ribs, also told me about kolaches, which we made with pineapple filling, yum. I am now going to check out Potica, thanks. You guys are great.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:04 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

Oh dear, I lost my post.

I first became a kraut eater when I ate it with ribs. You roast the ribs for an hour, then put the kraut on top for another half an hour, you can also add the same sort of ingredients as for the chicken.

I would love to know how to make the kraut dogs, as I am Australian and don't know how to! I also love kraut salad, and kraut warmed over fried bratwurst.

How about kolaches? The friend that told me about the ribs also told me about the kolaches. Now I have Potica to try, thanks. You guys are great.

Tags
None