Czech Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, The Treasures of the Austro-Hungarian Empire live on!

Hi, and thanks for posting this luscious treat. You can still enjoy this delectation at cafes in Vienna, Buda and Pest.

Ron

Czech chicken and sauerkraut

Thanks so much for this recipe, Ron. It made a sauerkraut eater out of me - at least in this dish. The combination of the kraut, apples, and potatoes was great with the bird. We used sourdough bread to lap up the juices. I also thinly sliced cucumbers and eyeballed a quantity of salt, pepper, sugar, and red wine vinegar for them to swim in a few hours before dinner - very good accompaniment.

Handy Husband had two helpings. Thanks again!

Glad you enjoyed the Chicken and Kraut

Hi, I am delighted that you enjoyed this dish as much as our company did. As you can see, it's quick, easy and delicious, and inexpensive and will surprise those who think of 'kraut only as a topping for hot dogs.

Ron

A Regional Favorite: Szegediner Gulyas

Hello, friends, this may be a Hungarian dish, but it has become popular throughout Central Europe.

2# stewing pork, cut into 1.25" cubes ( I used boneless loin)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp lard or butter [I used lard.]
3 onions, diced
2 tbsp sweet paprika [use only Hungarian!]
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup water
1 # fresh kraut or kraut from a jar [Use German/Polish!]
1 # potaotes, peeled, cut into 1.25" cubes or cut into 1/2 inch slices1 tbsp caraway seeds [more, if you love the flavor.]
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tbsp flour

Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Hear fat and in it fry pork cubes until browned on all sides, SLOWLY. Add diced onion and cook slowly unhtil soft and golden. Sprinkle with paprika and saute for 3-4 minutes.

Add garlic and water and cover, simmering slowly for 25 minutes.

If sauerkraut is sharply flavored [usually the case with American canned kraut], rinse once or twice and drain. Add it to the pork along with potatoes and caraway seeds.

Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until potatoes are done.

Blend flour into sour cream and pour over sauerkraut and pork, shaking pot from side to side so cream will "percolate" through. Cover and let it simmer about 10 minutes, or until the goulash is heated through. Season to taste and serve.

[This fork-blended sour cream and flour is a vey popular regional thickener, used all throughout Central Europe.]

This meal is also good with a cucumber salad, as a nice
contrast. I also steamed some additional potatoes so that people could mash them into leftover juices on their plates to absorb the goodness.

I have also served this over wide egg noodles, which are also very popular.

Enjoy! This is a major crowd pleaser! I made some without kraut at my wife's behest, along with some with kraut. Even those very few who had opted for no kraut, came back to have it with, and loved it! Kraut is marvelously versatile, as you will see from my posts.

Ron:chef:

Interesting, Ron. I was telling a co-worker this morning about the fabulous Czech chicken recipe I had just tried, describing the ingredients. She said she makes something almost identical using pork chops. The flour-cream slurry would be a bonus!

p.s. forgot to add that another lady overheard us and asked me to write the recipe out for her.

Last edited:
paprika

Słodki is sweet maybe that is what you have and ostra is sharp. I like using half sweet with half hot/sharp if it is bitter.

Paprika is wonderful in many things including cabbage rolls like sarma and also in a pot of beans.

I use a lot of the Spanish smoked paprika and also the Hungarian paprikas.

mudbug said:
goody, you guys can help me clear something up.

My sister has traveled a lot on NATO business for the Navy and brought me back some paprika from Poland - the labels say papryka ostra and papryka stodka. Which is the sweet and which is the hot, and what dishes do I make using each?

I became a kraut eater this year as well after trying it baked over ribs. You bake the ribs for an hour covered with water, I think, then put the kraut on top for 1/2 hour. It is similar to the chicken dish. Then I tried kraut salad, and kraut warmed over frying brats, and I would love to know how to make kraut dogs, as I am Australian and don't know how to.

My friend who told me about the ribs, also told me about kolaches, which we made with pineapple filling, yum. I am now going to check out Potica, thanks. You guys are great.

Last edited:
Oh dear, I lost my post.

I first became a kraut eater when I ate it with ribs. You roast the ribs for an hour, then put the kraut on top for another half an hour, you can also add the same sort of ingredients as for the chicken.

I would love to know how to make the kraut dogs, as I am Australian and don't know how to! I also love kraut salad, and kraut warmed over fried bratwurst.

How about kolaches? The friend that told me about the ribs also told me about the kolaches. Now I have Potica to try, thanks. You guys are great.

These darned recipes are never where I think they are. They are actually from cookbooks, because they were virtually identical to MILs, but with measurements (MIL's had a lot of pinches and hands full). This is a huge production, best done with a couple of people. I have a freind of Slovak descent I'm going to do it with once it gets cold again, and hubby pitches in. You really need a good, solid table for rollling out the dough, preferably covered with a clean bed sheet. The cookbook has it as a Christmas dish, MIL used to send us a piece of one (it is very large, she'd cut off about 6-8 inches and send it) every Easter. You will see why it is a holiday dish! Not something you do every day! When I have my potica party, I'll report back!

Potica (adapted with MIL's changees from "All Along the Danube" by Marina Polvay -- an excellent all-around source to look for in used book stores)

1 pkg granulated yeast plus 1 tsp
1/2 c lukewarm water
4 1/2 c all purpose unbleached floour
1 c milk
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
2 eggs + 1 yolk
2 yolks beaten w/1 Tbs cream

preheat over to 350. Butter a jelly roll pan well and sprinkle generously w/flour. In a small bowl combine yeast w/lukewarm water. Stir and set aside for a few minutes. In a large bowl or your mixer bowl combine 2 c flour & yeast. In a saucespan heat together millk, sugar, butter and salt, stirring constantly til all butter has melted. Add to flour & yeast mixture. Beat at low speeed for about 1 1/2 min. Add eggs and yolk and remaining flour.
ME: (not Marina). At this point you have bread, finish it as you would any other through the first rising.
Divide dough into two parts. Roll each into a 15X20 rectangle
ME: MIL used to (and I stick with it) make one huge piece. You roll at first, then you and all your helpers gather around the table, and with buttered fingers, very gently pull the dough until it as thin as you can make it. It'll be pretty big. Then you spread with the filling. I use walnut, don't even have a recipe for the other traditional filling, which is poppy seed. When I have my freind come, we make make one of each because she remembers her gram making the latter.

Filling:
1/2 c honey
1 c light brown sugar
6 T butter
1/2 c light cream
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 1/2 c ground walnuts (very fine)
1/2 c chopped white raisins (MIL hated raisins, so in memory of her I leave them out as well)
2 well-beaten eggs
1 tsp orange rind, grated
1 tsp lemon rind, grated (the citrus is optional according to MIL)

In a saucepan combine honey, sugar, butter and cream. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and stirring continuously, simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add cinnamon, walnuts, raisins; mix well. Cool to lukewarm. Add eggs and rinds and blend well. Cool completely before using (you'll most likely be using your hands to spread this over the dough!).

Now the fun part. Roll up like a jelly roll. When you're through it should be about that size, but flat and fatter. If you're like me, it's kinda lumpy. If you're like MIL, it is as smooth as silk. Delicious either way. Snake this into the pan, then let rise for 40-45 min. Bake at 350 for 20 min. Brush with beaten yolks, bake for 20 more minutes.

Marina has a glaze, MIL didn't.

BTW: Po-teet-sa

Last edited:
I'll add more recipes as I feel like typing! Haha! Another I forgot to tell you (MIL didn't make it, but it was typical street food in Slovena) Burek. It's also sort of like a jelly roll, but a savory, made with filo dough (I don't make the dough, trust me!) and ground meat (lamb or beef) or cheese (something like a cross between cream cheese and feta -- as a matter of fact, when I made it, that's what I did, warm and cream the cream cheese, then mix in crumbled feta). This has to be a dish of middle eastern origins, I know that it's a common food in Turkey as well.

In addition to "All Along the Danube" (Marina Polvay) another recommendation is Jeff Smith's old "The Frugal Gourmet on our Immigrant Ancestors), which also has all of the foods I've mentioned. Do like me and haunt those old used book stores.

When I was at the op-shop/goodwill recently my husband was saying, "why didn't you look through the books for cookbooks", I'll have to try again! I did get one lovely one from there a couple of years ago, and found recently it had a great recipe for cornbread.

White raisins and other colored raisins I still can't get a handle on, which ones are sultanas?

I am half czech and my mother and grandparents are fullblood. My Granny cooked a lot of wonderful things, but didn't use recipes.:( We watched and wrote down a few things she made. Of course she only use things she made or got from her farm. She made wonderful Kolaches, breads, rolls. We have a recipe for Kolaches. I also have a Teacake recipe. She didn't call them teacakes though. She called them Pecan cookies. And one of my favortie things is her okra and poatato dish. I can tell you how to make that , no recipe.
I think most of her things tasted so good, because they were fresh. Either from the garden or the barnyard. She made her own butter, cream, cottage cheese, pickles, ect............. Wonderful.

Dice some white potatoes. In a skillet (with a lid), add a couple of tsp. of bacon drippings. Add a bunch of diced onion and add the diced potatoes. Add some chopped garlic, salt, and pepper. Put the lid on and let simmer till the potatoes are starting to turn soft. Cut some okra (like for frying) and place on top the potatoes. Cover again , and cook til okra and potatoes are done. Remove lid and fold okra in to the potatoes. Yummmmmmm

Kabana&Cheese said:
White raisins and other colored raisins I still can't get a handle on, which ones are sultanas?

Sultanas would be white raisins ... but only if they were made from dried sultana grapes.

I rather doubt it would make much difference what color rasins or even any other dried fruit, cut up, in this recipe. As I said, MIL didn't put them in at all, and I don't either. I think white raisins are the same as sultanas. Hmmm. Just happen to have Larousse Gastronomique at hand. Yes, white, seedless grapes, dried, are sultanas. Oh, I just caught another post. That makes sense, the type of grape! For recipe purposes, though, any will do.

Last edited:
Paprika

mudbug said:
goody, you guys can help me clear something up.

My sister has traveled a lot on NATO business for the Navy and brought me back some paprika from Poland - the labels say papryka ostra and papryka stodka. Which is the sweet and which is the hot, and what dishes do I make using each?

I answered this before but don't see the post here.

Ostra means strong IE hot

strodka is sweet

Also if you taste them you will find one sharp the other not. I like using half of each in recipes.

Back
Top Bottom