"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-24-2009, 04:02 AM   #21
Senior Cook

saba banana

Hi..hope this helps
a turron according to wikipedia
' Though many varieties exist, a typical turrón is plantain and jackfruit wrapped in a springroll wrapper, dipped in brown sugar, then fried. This somewhat resembles banana spring rolls. These are also known as banana fritters.'

The jackfruit is seasonal but the bananas are always available...regarding the saba banana its has a large angular fruit with a white and sweet starchy flesh that makes it ideal for cooking.its shorter than the regurlar banana..its ommon in the Philippines; the fruit is a cooking banana.
But if u cant find a saba banana, plantains are ok to use.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #22
Senior Cook

thanks for your explanation.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyfingers View Post
Hi, Quick question. Is corn flour the same as corn starch?
No, they're not the same thing; but unfortunately & to make things more confusing, it depends on where you're located &/or where the cookbook/recipe you're reading was published.

Here in the U.S., "corn flour" is flour produced by grinding/processing the whole kernel of corn. It's really just corn meal that's simply been processed further into a powder. "Corn starch" is a powder produced by grinding JUST the endosperm of the kernel, which, in a brief nutshell, is a starch that surrounds the plant embryo in the kernel.

However, in the U.K. & other parts of Europe, the terms "corn flour" & "corn starch" are used interchangeably to mean the same thing - "Corn Starch". So if you're reading a recipe from a British-published cookbook & it calls for "corn flour", chances are better than excellent that they really mean "corn starch". Oh - & every Asian recipe I've ever read that calls for "corn flour", has meant "corn starch".

So now that I've got you straightend out on that circus. . . .
Old 08-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up

Thanks BreesyCooking for taking the time to explain about corn flour and corn starch.
You answered my question perfectly and likely helped out some other folks also.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:47 AM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalinee View Post
Made soft cheese scones yesterday morning for breakfast. This is not an Asian food but they were really so good I'll post it anyway here. It's very cheesy and my family loves it very much. Anything homemade is fresh & taste superior to store bought. It very easy and fast to make. Check for recipe at Keep Learning Keep Smiling » Soft Cheese Scones

Cheers,
shalinee

shalinee these scones look absolutely divine!!!thanks for the recipe and photo.i'm def gonna try it one of these days.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:08 AM   #26
Senior Cook

I made a very awesome, healthy bread yesterday. It was so fresh and so full of flavour. I made avocado cheese sandwich with it. It tasted really, really good. Making bread is very easy. It's unbeatable. I will not buy again. Check it out at Keep Learning Keep Smiling » Best Healthy Avocado Sandwich

Cheers,
Shalinee

Old 08-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

I tried the recipe this weekend and omg it was out of this world! The crunch of the nuts were so good and everyone had a fit over it! Thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #28
Senior Cook

One love, I'm so glad you tried and everyone liked it.

cheers,
shalinee
Old 08-27-2009, 02:38 AM   #29
Senior Cook

A lovely, simple, appetizer of tomato, soya beans, watercress, apricot cheese and a lovely dressing. Check out recipe at http://tinyurl.com/nsl93n

Cheers,
shalinee

Old 08-27-2009, 02:55 AM   #30
Senior Cook

A very delicious butternut squash curry that goes great with rice or bread especially homemade bread like the one I made for my avocado sandwich above. Keep Learning Keep Smiling » Best Butternut Squash Curry

Tags
cashew nuts, chicken, chinese, cooking, recipe

Delicious, easy, simple Asian recipes Hi I have a lovely Chinese recipe to share here. I love Chinese food and Chinese cooking. I cooked Cashew Nut Chicken yesterday for dinner. Goes very well with plain rice and stir-fry broccoli. [U][B]Ingredients A[/B][/U] 3 chicken thighs (debone and cut into strips) 1 T light soya sauce 1 T cornflour Mix and marinade for 30 minutes. [B][U]Ingredients B (sauce)[/U][/B] 3 T light soya sauce 3 T water 1 T sugar 1 t vinegar 1 t corn flour 3 T chili sauce (optional) Mix all together in a small bowl. [U][B]Ingredients C (garnishing)[/B][/U] 1/2 C cashew nuts (roasted) coriander Heat up 3 T of oil, add the chicken. Cook it well. Add the sauce and stir till thickened. Dish it up. Top with cashew nuts and coriander for garnishing. Serve hot with plain rice. A pot of Chinese tea to go with it will be fantastic.:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews