"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-26-2009, 04:19 AM   #71
Senior Cook

Chinese take a lot of tonic soup using herbs for health purposes. Most of them are very delicious. My family love chicken tonic soup. The easiest is to use the ready spices/herbs in packages. A delicious one is using Bak Kut Teh spices which you can easily get from Oriental shop. Just add a small chicken for 1 packet of the spices in a pot. Add enough water to cover. Add in a whole garlic and cook on medium to low fire for about one and half hours. Season to taste with oyster sauce and soya sauce. Enjoy this delicious soup.

Cheers,
shalinee.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:47 AM   #72
Senior Cook

I grew up eating a lot of root vegetables. My mom cooked them in many ways. One of them is to make vegetable fritters. I have tried my own version and found it goes great with salad, yoghurt and some coulis. I only used carrots, parsnip and sweet potatoes. Peel and grate them into a big bowl. Add some flour & water to make them stick together. Then pan fry them. Serve it hot with salad, youghurt and your favourite coulis. Tastes real good.

Cheers,
shalinee

Keep Learning Keep Smiling

Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #73
Senior Cook

Peanut butter mochi balls coated with sweet soya bean powder. A very popular Asian dessert. It's super easy to make. Just add 1C mochi flour (glutinous rice flour), 1/2C (a little less) water and 1t oil together. Knead until smooth. Make into small balls, flatten and fill with some peanut butter. Roll into a ball again. Add into boiling water. Once they float, remove and coat them with sweet soya bean powder or peanut powder.

Cheers,
shalinee

http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com
Old 09-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

man the screen really jumped around on this one. up down . way up . wonder why.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:46 AM   #75
Senior Cook

Asians love noodles. There are many types and all of them can be cooked in many ways. I love most of them. There's one very popular Chinese noodles called hand-pulled noodles. Tastes awesome. It was challenging to make it but it was fun and worth all the effort as the noodles were really awesome. The texture is so good. I made some yesterday and was utterly thrilled that it came out successful, after several failed attempts before.

Cheers,
shalinee

Old 09-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #76
Senior Cook

@ shalinee
I love asian flat noddles, canton noodles and misua....very popular in Asian cooking...my favorites are Pinoy Pancit Canton and Bihon

Old 10-01-2009, 05:26 AM   #77
Senior Cook

mexican mama, that's such a lovely noodle dish. Is Pinoy Pancit Canton and Bihon a Vietnamese dish?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:28 AM   #78
Senior Cook

my favourite vegetarian dish....Okra Fried With Egg. It's very simple, easy and quick to cook. Goes great with plain rice. Okra is good for bowel movement.

Cheers,
shalinee

Old 10-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #79
Senior Cook

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalinee View Post
mexican mama, that's such a lovely noodle dish. Is Pinoy Pancit Canton and Bihon a Vietnamese dish?

Its a Filipino dish that is greatly influenced by the Chinese, thus the name Pancit Canton which is noodles cooked Cantonese style. A bihon is Rice vermicelli its a rice noodle also popular in Asian cooking including Vietnamese. In the Philippine bihon is cooked stir-fry and stuffing for rice rolls..hope this helps

Pinoy-style Bihon dish
Old 10-03-2009, 02:57 AM   #80
Senior Cook

mexican mama, that's a lovely bihon dish.

Tags
cashew nuts, chicken, chinese, cooking, recipe

Delicious, easy, simple Asian recipes Hi I have a lovely Chinese recipe to share here. I love Chinese food and Chinese cooking. I cooked Cashew Nut Chicken yesterday for dinner. Goes very well with plain rice and stir-fry broccoli. [U][B]Ingredients A[/B][/U] 3 chicken thighs (debone and cut into strips) 1 T light soya sauce 1 T cornflour Mix and marinade for 30 minutes. [B][U]Ingredients B (sauce)[/U][/B] 3 T light soya sauce 3 T water 1 T sugar 1 t vinegar 1 t corn flour 3 T chili sauce (optional) Mix all together in a small bowl. [U][B]Ingredients C (garnishing)[/B][/U] 1/2 C cashew nuts (roasted) coriander Heat up 3 T of oil, add the chicken. Cook it well. Add the sauce and stir till thickened. Dish it up. Top with cashew nuts and coriander for garnishing. Serve hot with plain rice. A pot of Chinese tea to go with it will be fantastic.:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews