"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-21-2006, 01:12 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Chausiubao
Different Meat and Vegetable Combinations in Dumplings?

I learned how to make dumplings from my mother, she taught me to make dumplings with garlic chives and ground pork. And there are also other combinations I've thought up to myself.

Recently I made these.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/38146856/

Does anyone know any other good combinations besides pork and chive?

I was thinking, chicken and napa cabbage. But that is also a traditional combination.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:25 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

One of my favorites is cucumber and scrambled egg, oh another is cilantro and pork (probably my favorite).

Old 08-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #3
Master Chef

In Chinese Restaurants, aren't those known as pot stickers?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
Head Chef

Yep, those are potstickers, I like to fill with mashed potatoes and cheese or mashed potatoes and saur kraut, sausage and cheese and kraut. Every Nationality calles them something different.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #5
Executive Chef

ground chicken green peas and mint is very good
ground or chopped beef, hot chilis and cilantro is awesome
smoked fish, spinach, rice and ginger also great. none of these are "traditional" but the mixtures are not unusual.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:01 PM   #6
Master Chef

Because the quality of ground pork can be iffy, I usually make mine with ground dark meat turkey. I used to make a vegetarian version for my mom with very finely chopped mushrooms instead of the meat. Always onion of some sort (chives, green or round). I tend to not season mine heavily because there are SO many and there are only two of us. So when I make them I freeze most of them (freeze on wax paper on a cookie sheet. When frozen they go into a bag) and I can make a variety of dishes with them, using them as pierogi as well as various Asian dishes. I boil in soups, steam, make potstickers or deep fry. Then I let the sauce or soup be the determination.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Shrimp and scallion

Crab and cream cheese.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Chausiubao
I think the only difference between dumplings and potstickers is the method of cooking. But then that may also decide the different ingredients. I know for a fact that dumplings and potstickers have different skins, as boiling water is more...disastrous? to the wrappers.

But its no big difference.

I can't say i've ever heard of scrambled egg and cucumber...maybe i'll try that.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:46 PM   #9
Executive Chef

My favourite is ground pork, napa cabbage, scallions, garlic, ginger etc. But, I'm also partial to duck mixed with a bit of hoisin sauce.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
Master Chef

Dumplings to me are defined by those wonderfully light, biscuit kind-of things that floated on top of my Mother's chicken soup. That's how I make dumplings as well. The dumplings described above have various names and purposes. They can be boiled, deep-fried, pan-fried, cooked into casseroles, etc., and depending on the filling can range from perrogies, to pot-stickers, to ravioli, etc. But whatever you like to call them, they are so versatile and can be taylored to virtually any meal.

Great thread by the way.

Oh, and if you have trouble with the skins staying sealed, remember that the liquid doesn't have to boil. Take it up to 180 to 200 degrees and let the littel pillows simmer at that temp. Also, brush the inside edges with egg-wash before sealing.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None