Dim Sum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know all the names for them but apart from the two that I already mentioned yam cakes prawns in bean curd wrappers, steamed prawn dumplings and a fried version, little parcels of minced pork and prawn, century egg porrige, and a heap of other things that I can't think of. Like I said, I don't usually order. I often go with Chinese/Malaysians and they grab what they think we will all enjoy. I was going to try the chicken feet on one occasion but they looked so unappetising with the bits of feathers on them, that I gave them a miss. There was also a pork spareribs in blackbean sauce that I gave a big miss - they looked so fatty and horrid. I don't eat pork very often so it had to fight harder to impress me than other dishes. They also usually get mango puddings and custard tarts but I don't have a sweet tooth so gave them a big miss. Some of the restaurants we go to we get to order from the menu and others are just the trolley. I prefer the order variety as the food comes out freshly cooked and you get what you want. The trolley service can be slow and you miss dishes or some of them are no longer hot. Tepid deep fried stuff is not very tasty.

It's been a while so I will have to organise my friend to go with me soon.

I don't know all the names but the
Turnip Cake (not Yam) is Low bot goh - made with daikon
There is a Yam cake (not shown) - it is much darker in color
Wu Tau Goh-
Spareribs in dark sauce - pi gwat
Century egg porrige (congee) - Pay don sau yook jook
Braised chicken feet - Foong Jow

We are lucky in Brooklyn - 1 large and 2 small Chinatowns - lots and
lots of Dim Sum houses - always jam packed Weekends at 11.
I'll ask my wife to name the others - she is nee Tang Lai Fun.
All my names are Cantonese - Mandarin would be different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom