"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #11
Head Chef

I like to dip mine in Thai sweet chili sauce and a little soy sauce.

I have a dumpling press, because I cannot get the edges pretty without one.

Anna Nguyen's Asian Dumplings has great recipes.

I think a dumpling making party sounds like a blast! Many hands make light work, and everyone could take a couple dozen home.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
Head Chef

They look awesome!

The first time I ever saw dim sum potstickers made from scratch was on Ming's TV show when his mother was guest chef. I promptly went and bought a tapered rolling pin and tried to make my own dough. Yuk! I tried a couple more times, and gave up.

If you have that recipe, and can maybe offer a few more tips, I'm willing to try again. I don't have a tortilla press, and I'm wondering if I might be able to rig something... maybe just give a dough ball a good flat whack with the bottom of my frying pan... and then roll like you do to finish shape and thickness.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
They look awesome!

The first time I ever saw dim sum potstickers made from scratch was on Ming's TV show when his mother was guest chef. I promptly went and bought a tapered rolling pin and tried to make my own dough. Yuk! I tried a couple more times, and gave up.

If you have that recipe, and can maybe offer a few more tips, I'm willing to try again. I don't have a tortilla press, and I'm wondering if I might be able to rig something... maybe just give a dough ball a good flat whack with the bottom of my frying pan... and then roll like you do to finish shape and thickness.
Pasta machine?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #14
Master Chef

I'm with Spork. I too would dearly love to make some of these. Any recipes or tips would be wonderful, and I'm even willing to buy a tortilla press or a dumpling press like SG has. Yours look sooooooooo good!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Your dumplings look absolutely beautiful, medtran. Thank you for sharing!

-Damien
Old 05-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #16
Head Chef

This is what my dumpling press looks like. I roll the dough out with a rolling pin, then cut it into 3 inch circles. Lay the circles onto the press, put a little filling in the center, then close the press.

I have a ravioli maker that I use sometimes, too. Those dumplings are smaller and nice for soup.

A pasta maker might work to roll out the dough.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #17
Head Chef

The recipe I use for the dough and the pork dumplings, as well as the spicy dipping sauce can be found here. I'll have to type out the other filling one later.

Pork and Ginger Pot Stickers Recipe : : Food Network

I just follow the dough directions to the letter, including the resting part, and use PLENTY of flour to keep it from sticking while I'm pressing and rolling to get my dough circles. One thing though that is in the book but not on the FN web site, you might not need all the water to get the dough ball to form.

Not sure if the YUCK comment applied to the taste of the raw dough, which is kinda like the glue paste I remember using in kindergarten. Thing is though you aren't supposed to be eating the raw dough and it really doesn't have much of a flavor even cooked, the filling and dipping sauce are the things you taste.

I usually make 10-12 dough circles at a time then fill/shape them and put them on a very well-floured silicone mat or parchment paper and cover with a damp cloth or paper towels. You have to keep your dough ball covered too as you don't want the dough to get dry and crack.

Cook as per the directions. I usually cook over medium to med-high heat in order to keep the bottoms from getting too brown.

For freezing, single layer, bag, and put in a place where they won't get beat up with other things getting thrown or put on top of them as the dough gets quite brittle when frozen and will break easily. Cook an extra 5 minutes or so at slightly lower heat when frozen.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

I love dim sum!!! There's a restaurant in Austin called T&S seafood and they are my absolute favorite restaurant in the city. Their lunch specialty is ... Dim sum! I've got some frozen potstickers and maybe I should drag out my bamboo steamer ... ;)
Old 05-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #19
Master Chef

Thanks so much MT for the details, tips and inspiration I'm going to find one of those dumpling presses SG. I've seen them but had no idea what they were for.
Ahhhhh, yet another gadget for my cramped gadget drawer.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelrycooktx View Post
I love dim sum!!! There's a restaurant in Austin called T&S seafood and they are my absolute favorite restaurant in the city. Their lunch specialty is ... Dim sum! I've got some frozen potstickers and maybe I should drag out my bamboo steamer ... ;)
Well you don't use a steamer for pot stickers. They get cooked in a skillet with oil so the bottoms get brown (i.e. "sticker") and then you throw in some water or broth to steam them to finish but no bamboo steamer is used.

Those cooked in a steamer are usually called Chinese dumplings or buns in English, not sure other than Siu Mai, what they Chinese names are.

But I agree about loving Dim Sum, whether they are steamed or fried-and-steamed!

Tags
None