Dim Sum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks so much MT for the details, tips and inspiration I'm going to find one of those dumpling presses SG. I've seen them but had no idea what they were for.
Ahhhhh, yet another gadget for my cramped gadget drawer.;)

You're welcome and you can use that press for empanadas too...

The Asian store down the road calls them 'gyoza' (in the freezer section) and the preferred cheater method is 16 min steamed atop cabbage leaves. My kids absolutely love them that way. I can eat them fried, steamed, from the store, pick your poison. ;)

I'm a newbie, so please excuse me if I missed something. I was drawn to this discussion because I just bought my first bamboo steamer and I an dying to make some pot stickers. Everyone is raving here...But where is the recipe?

First of all, pot stickers aren't cooked in a bamboo steamer. The method that I'm aware of is cooking in boiling salted water followed by being fried in oil in a skillet or wok. Dumplings are cooked in a steamer.

If you're looking for a specific recipe, you can do a key word search using the search link below the top blue bar and to the right.

Last edited:
I'm a newbie, so please excuse me if I missed something. I was drawn to this discussion because I just bought my first bamboo steamer and I an dying to make some pot stickers. Everyone is raving here...But where is the recipe?

If you create a thread like, "ISO Dim Sum Recipes" you will get some response.
"ISO" = In Search Of

Welcome to DC, have fun!

I make my pot stickers in a skillet. I assemble them and place them flat side down in the skillet, in about a Tablespoon of peanut oil over medium high heat. Once they're stuck, which means they're browned on the bottom and actually stuck to the skillet, I add about ½-inch of water and put a lid on it until they're properly steamed. I guess if you really need to use your new steamer, or you have other dumplings to steam, you can remove them from the skillet once the bottoms are browned and place them in the steamer to finish cooking.

Make the pot stickers:

*Separate the wonton wrappers and brush edges with eggwash.
*Place a generous spoonful of the filling and seal the edges, making small folds in the rounded side, starting from the center, and folding down to each end to create a half moon shape.
*Continue until you have used up the filling
*Refrigerate until ready to cook.

Cook pot stickers in small batches in boiling, salted water.
Drain.
Heat a non-stick saute pan coated with peanut oil, and sear until golden on the bottom of the pot sticker.
Remove and serve with dipping sauce.

Last edited:
POT STICKERS

• 1 package won-ton wrappers
  • 1/2 pound ground pork, turkey or beef, OR chopped chicken, fish, shrimp, or tofu
  • 3 scallions, sliced on the bias
  • 1/2 head napa cabbage or bok choy, chopped
  • 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • 1 tsp chopped water chestnut or bamboo shoots or bean sprouts, or any combination
  • 2 Tbs soy sauce Use light soy sauce for chicken or shrimp
  • 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 2 Tbs cornstarch dissolved in 5 Tbs rice wine, dry white wine, or sherry
  • peanut oil for frying (optional)
  • 3 cups chicken stock

Brown ground pork, beef, or turkey until dry and crumbly, or cook the chopped chicken, fish shrimp, or tofu in frying pan or wok. Place in bowl with chopped cabbage, scallion, ginger, water chestnut, soy sauce, egg white, sugar, salt, pepper, garlic, red pepper, cornstarch and wine. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.

Place 1 Tbs of filling on each won-ton wrapper and fold into triangle, or if you want be fancy, fold corners toward middle Pinch edges together tightly, and use fork tines to seal. Heat two inches peanut oil in frying pan or pot, put dumpling in hot oil seam side up, and cook until browned lightly on bottom. Take pan off heat and slowly add chicken stock to cover. Place back on heat and poach until wonton wrappers are almost transparent, then remove to paper towels to drain. For dim sum, skip the peanut oil and frying. Serve with dipping sauces below.

DIPPING SAUCES

• 4 Tbs chili oil
  • 2 tsp white vinegar
  • 4 Tbs soy sauce
Mix together in bowl and serve

• 4 tbs Soy sauce
  • 2 tbs Peanut butter
  • 1 tbs Honey
  • 2 tsp White vinegar
  • 1/8 tsp Garlic powder
  • 2 tsp Sesame oil
  • 1/8 tsp hot sauce
  • 1/8 tsp Pepper
Whisk all ingredients together in bowl until combined and serve

2 cups soy sauce
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup rice wine
3/4 tsp minced garlic
Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add juice and zest of 1 lemon. Cool and serve.

• 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tbs sugar
  • salt to taste
    1 tbs cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbs water
Combine all ingredients except corn starch mixture in pan and bring to boil. Add cornstarch mixture, return to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until desired thickness. Cool and serve.

Back
Top Bottom