Firstly, traditional Crème Brulee, Crema Catalana or Burnt Cream was first made in the year 1520, and thus, was documented by the Governing Reigns of that time.
*** Would like to hear all about your versions too ...
How do you prepare ?
Here is our traditional family recipe:
4 cups whole milk
two 5 cm. cinammon sticks
two 5 inch strips lemon zest ( 1/2 lemon )
1/2 cup corn starch
1 cup sugar
a metal Salamandre ( works as a branding iron ) or a Metal Spatula
Clay earthenware oven dessert dishes
1. disslove the corn starch in 8 fl. oz. of regular milk
2. heat rest of milk in deep sauce pan with the cinammon sticks and the zest strips
3. blend the yolks with 8 ounces of sugar and stir well
4. strain the boiled milk through a fine sieve and pour over the egg mixture
5. add the dissolved corn starch mixture and blend well and heat gently stirring in only one direction --- do NOT allow to boil.
6. when it thickens, remove from heat and strain through a sieve. Transfer to a bowl and let cool ( 3 hrs. )
7. when cool, heat the salamandre or metal spatula via stove top fire
8. sprinkle the top of the custard with sugar
9. for caramelizing: with the metal spatula or salamandre, implement a branding to form the thin caramelized layer
Serve with espresso or coffee or tea of choice ... and a cordial of choice.