Do you have a taste for Filipino food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:chef:

TOP 10

ALLTIME FAVORITE FILIPINO RECIPES…

;)

I’ve put together what I consider to be a short list of the most popular and most asked for Filipino foods (asked for and demanded by my family)… I should mention that this list is no way in any particular order and if you enjoy Filipino food just as we do, It may be that your favorite dish did not make the list, but doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be there…
If you would like the recipes for any dish in the following list, just let me know and I’ll go ahead and post it in forum.
I truly hope you enjoy making and tasting the following…
:cool:

PORK MENUDO

KARE KARE

PORK ADOBO

MAHA BLANCO

PUTO

CHICKEN APRETADA (I’ve been promised the recipe)

LECHON KAWALI

SINIGANG NA BANGUS (MILK FISH SOUP)

CRISPY PATA

PANCIT CANTON

:cool:

I see several dishes "missing" from your list: Lumpia (first and foremost!) Lechon baboy, Bibingka!

And what is the difference between Pancit Canton that you named and the Pancit Bihon I'm familiar with?

Okay, let me explain some things before everyone runs out to find Pilipino food. There is no such thing as Authentic Pilipines Cuisine, because every Pinoy and Pinay cook has a different recipe for the same dish handed down from generation to generation, or the same recipe for different dishes. There are also three distinct influences on Pilipino cuisine other than the aboriginal; the Spanish, the Chinese, and the Indian. I have enjoyed some wonderful Pilipino curries among my gastronomic adventures.

Case in point: You said you are looking for a recipe for Sisig? Now please describe what you consider that to be, because I have seen sisig described as pig ears, which I know as kilawin, and I have in turn seen kilawin described as a ceviche style fish or pork dish.

There are several types of Pancit as well. There is pancit bihon, made with rice noodles, pancit canton, made with chinese style wheat noodles, and my personal favorite, pancit palabok, a.k.a pancit luglug, a.k.a. pancit luglug palabok, made with rice noodles, hard boiled eggs (not balut!), a shrimp based sauce coloured with annatto, and sprinkled with crushed pork rinds called dinipa. I was taught to make pancit bihon and canton with sauteed cabbage, pork, and chicken livers. I was taught to make kari kari with oxtail, cabbage, and long green beans. I was taught to make adobo with chicken and pork togehter, not separately, and the chicken and pork are browned first, then braised in a seasoned vinegar/soy sauce mixture, while other Pilipinos will tell you that the meat should be braised first, then browned, and yet others will tell you not to brown it at all, just braise it.

That being said, I will give you some of my Pilipino recipes, one post at a time, alphabetically down my extensive multi-national recipe list. To some they will be authentic, to some they will not, be they are what I was taught to make, the way I was taught to make it.

Last edited:
Here is one of the staples of the Orient. I think every Asian cuisine includes two basic recipes. Cashew chicken, and

BEEF BROCCOLI

Ingredients:

• 1 lb thinly sliced flank steak
  • 1 Tbs Rice wine
  • 1 Tbs Cornstarch
  • 3 to 5 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 bunch green onions or scallions, chopped
  • 1 Lb Broccoli cut into florets
  • 2 Tbs Patis (fish sauce)
  • 1 Tbs Soy sauce
  • 2 Tbs Water
  • 4 Tbs cooking oil
  • 1 tsp grated ginger root
  • 1/3 c Water

Sauce:

• 1 tb Soy sauce
  • 1 tb Cornstarch

Directions:

Dissolve the cornstarch in the 2 Tbs water, then add rice wine and soy sauce,. Marinate the beef in this mixture for at least 1 hour.

In a wok or large skillet, stir fry the marinated beef in 2 Tbs cooking oil until just barely browned. Do not overcook. Remove the beef from the skillet and put aside. Wipe out the wok and return to heat. Add another 2 Tbs cooking oil and heat. Add the garlic, onion, fish sauce, and ginger and allow to cook for 1 minute. Add the broccoli and stir fry for another minute, then add the 1/3 cup water, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Combine the soy sauce and cornstarch to make a sauce. Remove the cover, and add the beef and the sauce, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens and the beef and broccoli are fully cooked.

Last edited:
CHICKEN & PORK ADOBO

Ingredients:

• 3 cups water
  • 2 cups distilled white or rice wine vinegar
  • 4 Tbs soy sauce
  • 2 tsp whole peppercorns
  • 2 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound chicken pieces, legs and thighs
  • 1 pound large pork pieces
  • 2 tablespoons peanut oil

Directions:

Brown chicken and pork pieces in oil in a deep saute pan, then remove to paper towels. Cook onions in saute pan until soft and translucent, then add garlic, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper and continue to cook until onions are browned slightly.

Add water, vinegar, and soy sauce and heat to boiling. Add chicken and pork and simmer until liquid is reduced to a thick sauce, turning chicken and pork occasionally. Place chicken and pork on serving platter and pour sauce over top.

LECHON
Ingredients:

• 5 to 7 pound pork butt
Rub:

• 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • ½ tsp ground cumin
  • ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
  • 3 Tbs peanut oil
  • 3 Tbs soy sauce
Sauce:

• 1 4-ounce can liver pate
  • ½ cup vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • ½ cup bread crumbs
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp black pepper
  • 2 Tbs cooking oil
  • 1 Tbs minced garlic
  • 2 Tbs finely chopped onion
Directions:

Preheat oven to 500F, or as high as your oven goes. Mix the rub ingredients and rub into pork. Place pork in a roasting pan on a rack. Roast pork in 500F oven for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350F and continue to cook for approximately 45 minutes per pound, but use a meat thermometer. The roast is done when the internal temperature reaches 145F. Allow the roast to rest, covered with aluminum foil, while you make the lechon sauce.

Mix liver pate, vinegar, water, sugar, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. In a small saucepan, heat oil and sauté onion until transparent. Add garlic and cook until browned. Add liver mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer until sauce thickens. Use the sauce as a dipping sauce, or as gravy, depending on your taste.

Last edited:
LUMPIA SHANGHAI
Ingredients:

• 1 Pkg egg roll wrappers
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 Tbs soy sauce
Directions:

Mix all ingredients except wrappers in bowl. Place one wrapper on clean work surface. Place 1 Tbs of mixture on wrapper, along the edge closest to you. Roll tightly, folding in sides, and seal edge with water. Continue until all of the mixture is used.

Deep fry egg rolls in small quantities in 350F peanut or canola oil until golden brown, turning to fry evenly. Do not crowd. Drain on paper towels.

Serve with a selection of dipping sauces

We put pork and shrimp in Lumpia. :) along with shredded carrots, cabbage and onions.

Also, imho, there are no Empanadas quite as delicious as Filipino Empanadas.

Does catsup qualify?

Only banana ketchup! ;)

banana-ketchup-now-reality--large-msg-127734887379.jpg

We put pork and shrimp in Lumpia. :) along with shredded carrots, cabbage and onions.

Of course you do, but with pork, shrimp and carrots, they're lumpia, but not lumpia shanghai.

There are several types of lumpia. With pork, shrimp and carrots, they're lumpia, but not lumpia shanghai.

PANSIT BIHON
Ingredients:

• 1 pkg rice noodles
  • 2 Tbs peanut oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 pound pork, cut into cubes
  • 1/2 pound shrimp, cleaned, peeled (save heads and shells)
  • 1/2 pound chicken livers
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup Shrimp stock made from the heads and shells of shrimp
  • 2 small carrots, shredded
  • 1 cup peas
  • 1 head cabbage, shredded
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 green onions, cut into small pieces
Directions:

In a sauté pan or heavy Dutch oven, brown garlic and onions. Add pork, chicken livers, and shrimp. Add soy sauce and shrimp stock and simmer for five minutes. Add carrots, peas, and cabbage and stir to combine.

Place rice noodles in strainer inside a large pot and pour boiling water over top until pot is filled. Wait five minutes, then remove strainer from pot and allow rice noodles to drain. Add rice noodles to sauté pan and combine. Place Pansit on serving platter or bowl and garnish with green onions and celery. Sprinkle with ground black pepper. This is a one-dish meal.

Last edited:
PANCIT LUGLUG PALABOK
Ingredients:

• 1 Pkg rice noodles
  • 1 Tbs ground Annato (achiote)
  • 2 Tbs Patis (fish sauce)
  • 1 Tbs peanut oil
  • ½ pound shrimp, cleaned, peeled, and cooked (save heads and shells)
  • 2½ Tbs cornstarch, mixed with ¼ cup water
  • 1 cup Shrimp stock (made from the heads and shells of shrimp)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 sliced hard boiled eggs
  • 2 Tbs green onion, finely chopped
  • ¼ cup finely crushed pork rinds
  • 1 lemon, cut into eight wedges

Directions:

Soak noodles in boiling water for 5 minutes or until softened. Drain well and set aside.

Brown onions and garlic in 1 Tbs peanut oil. Add shrimp stock, and Annato and bring to boil, reduce to simmer and add soy sauce, fish sauce, salt and pepper. Simmer 5 minutes, then stir in the cornstarch slurry and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened.

Place the noodles on a large serving plate, pour sauce over noodles. Arrange shrimp and hard-boiled egg on top of sauce, then sprinkle with green onions and crushed pork rinds. Arrange lemon wedges around the presentation dish. Squeeze a lemon wedge over each serving.

Back
Top Bottom