Do you have to fry eggrolls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never made spring or summer rolls - only eaten them at restaurants. I love eggrolls:). Now that I can't have anything fried - only a small amount of olive oil per day, about 2 tablespoons total for the day - I thought I'd never get these yummy things again:(. Would you have a suggestion as to a recipe for a simple summer roll with some sort of seafood as the "meat"? (I do have a convection oven, if that helps.)

I posted the recipe I use, along with the peanut sauce recipe: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/thai-spring-rolls-spicy-peanut-sauce-43904.html You can use chicken or shrimp for the filling; shrimp are traditional. Just steam or lightly boil them, plunge in ice water to stop the cooking, dry, then cut in half lengthwise and proceed with the recipe. These rolls aren't cooked at all - the filling is cooked and cooled first and the dry rice wrappers are rehydrated in water and ready to use. HTH.

I have never made spring or summer rolls - only eaten them at restaurants. I love eggrolls:). Now that I can't have anything fried - only a small amount of olive oil per day, about 2 tablespoons total for the day - I thought I'd never get these yummy things again:(. Would you have a suggestion as to a recipe for a simple summer roll with some sort of seafood as the "meat"? (I do have a convection oven, if that helps.)

You can try this recipe. You can use poached shrimp, shrimp/fish tempura, or lump crab meat if you like in place of the lobster.

Lobster and Avocado Summer Roll with Mango Coulis - Allrecipes

We ate the (baked) eggrolls last night and they were very nice. For some reason DS didn't eat his so I am going to see how they freeze.

I want to use the rest of the wrappers to make the Thai thing someone posted earlier, I gotta find it.

I don't have a deep fryer, so I can't "properly" fry anything.

"Properly Frying" has nothing to do with any special equipment deep fryer. Properly frying is a matter of technique. All you need is a 5-6 qt pot, a candy/fry thermometer ($5-$10 - or a probe thermometer - although you can use cubes of bread or the handle of a wooden spoon to tell you if your oil is at fry temp) to verify the temp of your oil, and not trying to add too much food to the pot at one time - adding too much food will reduce the temp of the oil to a level that it can not quickly recover.

If you have the oil at the proper temp - and you don't add too much food so that it causes the oil temp to drop too much - the heat from the oil causes the moisture in the food to rapidly expand, which creates outward pressure, this outward water vapor pressure prevents oil from moving into the food. Properly done - the only oil will be on the surface ... not absorbed into the food. Draining will remove a lot of the surface oil.

If you want to "bake" your egg-rolls - I tend to agree with what elaine l said - brush them with oil and "bake" (roast) them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom