Do you have to fry eggrolls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I got the wrappers and hope to get the rest of the ingredients over the weekend and make them next weeek - but I don't want to fry them, think they'd be OK baked?

I never steamed them, but i would imangine you could, in a bamboo steamer, with the end facing down.
We have a new member from a couple of days ago that could probably answer you, but I can't remember her name.
I'll look back and come back. Then you can PM her.

OKay, I found her name: Moon2008. I'm sure she'll be able to help you.

.................................................................................

Last edited:
ditto. About 400 degrees for 15 minutes or so, flip once..
if I remember correctly.

I have baked them. The do not come out as good, but they are certainly passable.

Last edited:
Just curious, why don't you want to fry them? On another post you want to fry kugel instead of baking and here you want to bake eggrolls instead of frying. Those two things just seem backwards to me, not that there is anything wrong with doing it that way.

Crispy rolls are usually referred to as "spring rolls" and use dough as the wrapping. Uncooked rice paper wrapped rolls are usually referred to as "summer rolls".

Although you can bake it, like GB hinted, it sort of defeats the purpose. You won't get the same crispyness and flavor from deep or pan frying them.

Crispy rolls are usually referred to as "spring rolls" and use dough as the wrapping. Uncooked rice paper wrapped rolls are usually referred to as "summer rolls".

Heh, I was using the term my local Thai restaurant uses on their menu, but I have seen them used as you describe in cookbooks.

GB, I'm touched that you're reading and remembering my posts!

My potato kugel recipe calls for about 1/3 cup oil - instead of adding it to the kugel and baking it, i add it to a pan, let it get hot, then add the kugel mixture to it and fry it. i figure it's not unhealthy that way.

I'lll look into the roll thingyh. Thanks !

I'm thinking along the same lines as GB.

Properly fried - a dozen egg rolls will absorb less oil than your kugle recipe. And, when I've made "baked" kugel I didn't add oil to the recipe - I only used about 1-teaspoon shortening to grease the baking dish.

You can oven-fry (bake) egg-rolls ... but they will not have the same texture or flavor as the real deal.

Last edited:
I don't have a deep fryer, so I can't "properly" fry anything. As far as the baked kugel, I don't think 1/3 cup of oil (to 6 potatoes) is a lot to add, whether it's baked or "fried" on the stove.

The egg rolls are dinner tomorrow night, so I'll let you all know !!!!!

If you have a convection oven, set it at 450* or 500* fan on and place egg rolls on a square mesh cooling rack in the oven. THe hot air circulating all around the rolls will get it "crispy" and nicely done inside. You can even sprits the outside with a little oil if you want a little blister on the wrappers. Still not the same as deep fried but very good.

Although you can bake it, like GB hinted, it sort of defeats the purpose. You won't get the same crispyness and flavor from deep or pan frying them.
I have never made spring or summer rolls - only eaten them at restaurants. I love eggrolls:). Now that I can't have anything fried - only a small amount of olive oil per day, about 2 tablespoons total for the day - I thought I'd never get these yummy things again:(. Would you have a suggestion as to a recipe for a simple summer roll with some sort of seafood as the "meat"? (I do have a convection oven, if that helps.)

Here is a reference to steam fish rolls. I suppose you can put your own ingredients and do it the same as this one...

If you are using pastry spring roll wrappers, it is not a good idea to steam your ingredients with it. We were taught to fry them. Wonton wrappers, you can steam or deep fried but not filled spring roll wrappers. If you can get hold of dried rice wrapper, then you can put your cooked ingredients inside it after soaking in water, then just roll and serve with your favourite dipping sauce. Just how we were taught....

I have baked them before as well, but had to rub oil on them. They turned out alright. The fried ones definitely turned out better for me.

Back
Top Bottom