Do you recognize this soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snack_pack85

Washing Up
My grandmother used to make a soup when we were younger with everthing in it and she called it something like "geece-ow" Thats how it sounded not sure how it's spelled. But the basic ingredients were always ground beef, potatoes chopped into small cubes, green beans, onion and crushed tomatoes.

I think there was garlic, some cumin, and possibly a bay leaf. Also there must have been some sort of chile powder or jalepeno because I remember it was a tad on the spicy side. She hasn't given up the recipe and the truth is I really dont think she remembers anymore, but I'd love to know if this is a traditional mexican or apache dish? If so does anyone know of a more specific recipe?

Guiso is a Spanish word that translates as soup or stew. It may be the word your grandmother was using. Maybe someone will come along with a another idea.

Good luck in your search.

My mother made a soup she called "Everything Soup," and it was just that, everything that was around at the time to make soup. Often she was cleaning out veggies from the fridge or using up seasonal ones from the garden, or even using leftover beef, chicken or ham from a previous meal. She always had lots of carrots and onions and spices in it, and it was actually pretty good. Often, it fed us 5 boys pretty well for another day before payday.

Maybe that's what your grandmother was making as well. Many of us came from a time when nothing went to waste, and we learned how to utilize all of our foods so very little was left for the dogs or pigs (I've got farm experience).

Guiso / Guisada

Click on this link and you will have a recipe for Guiso / Guisada.
You may want to add some of the ingredients you remember, but
you will have a basic recipe.

Hope this helps!

Carne Guisada (Beef Stew) Recipe

Best of Luck!

Bill Gibson

Click on this link and you will have a recipe for Guiso / Guisada.
You may want to add some of the ingredients you remember, but
you will have a basic recipe.

Hope this helps!

Carne Guisada (Beef Stew) Recipe

Best of Luck!

Bill Gibson

Thanks Bill, this must have been what she was making. She just added whatever was on hand as fillers! Thanks so much. Do you by any chance know how it's pronounced? Was I close?

Back
Top Bottom